Your name on the title bar!

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

What's your thought over having your name displayed on TC's title bar?

- I like it and I don't want to see any change whatsoever!
14%
- I don't like it at all; get rid of it!
16%
- The best approach is to make it optional/configurable.
47%
- I'm not a fan but I respect and understand the licensing implications.
9%
- I don't really care to be honest!
13%
- Other (please make a post)
1%

Total votes: 367

humb20

Post by *humb20 »

So basically mailing is something internal. In other words, if we manage to obtain the key via an e-mail attachment then we can simply throw the envelope in the garbage unopened when it arrives.

I using somebody else's name and credit card allowed, with their permission of course?

Also, I don't fully understand your firm insistence on the person's name being constantly shown in the title bar? It will certainly NOT prevent "piracy". If my key ended up on the Pirate Bay, so what? Who the hell even knows me? I'm sure you already know that TC is probably one of the easiest cracked programs to get. This alone indicates that forcing the name on the title bar is no deterrent.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Different companies insist on using different kinds of copy protection. And how many of them really work? It's somewhere in vicinity of zero. At least, TC's "protection" is harmless, compared to others. IMHO it's useless too, because at least for me, even though I first thought that it would bother me, my name in titlebar was quickly hidden by something similar to "banner blindness", so if there was Donald Duck there instead of my name, I wouldn't notice it either. :) But maybe it has some effect on someone.
rat

Post by *rat »

It's very interesting reading these posts.
I personally have no objection to my name appearing in the title bar and in fact because it's there a friend noticed and asked how he gets his name there and so he ended up buying a licence.
Due to these posts I decided to actually look at what apps I had open and look at their title bars to determine if I actually do use/look at them. I realised that I do in fact occasionally look at app title bars but looking for specific information, like the workbook name in Excel, and I found I only focus on what I'm looking for and don't actually take note of anything else that may be there.
So my point is, is it really an issue having one thing or another in the title bar, for me it's not an issue.

While I was looking at my open app title bars I did however notice that Skype has my Skype login name in it's title bar so does that also make Skype "offensive".
Before you shoot me down, I do understand why the Skype login name is included in the title bar and yes it may be your pseudonym and not your real name but it is still in essence "your name" in the title bar and I've yet to hear anyone complain... (shoot away :roll: )
Windows 7 64bit Pro. Total Commander 8.50β10 x64
nowm

Post by *nowm »

I vote for hiding my real name from the titlebar. Just my case, I use screen sharing app during my work (oDesk Team app) and I want no share my real name with everybody I've shared my screen with.

It would be awesome if license info would be removed from the title bar.
KC_

Post by *KC_ »

No objection with my name in the title bar. I actually like having it there. It feels like I really bought tc.

These days, there are no longer lifetime licenses and when using those software, I feel like I'm just renting them on a yearly basis. (this is understandable but that's an entirely different topic)
# 251045
Total Commander 10.5 64bit
j7n

Post by *j7n »

I have split feelings about the name.

I occasionally make screenshots to demonstrate transfer speeds, directory comparison, or another function being performed with this file manager, and since I am not proud of my "state name", I don't want to show it. Then I take the screenshot into IrfanView and apply an "explosion" effect over the area with the name. I occasionally get tired of that step.

I think I may have given out an unmodified screenshot once or twice, because people on the interned have occasionally referred to me by the name.

On the other hand, I'm proud not to have Ericsson Limited on the title, like everybody else, but something unique.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

j7n wrote:I occasionally make screenshots to demonstrate transfer speeds, directory comparison, or another function being performed with this file manager, and since I am not proud of my "state name", I don't want to show it. Then I take the screenshot into IrfanView and apply an "explosion" effect over the area with the name. I occasionally get tired of that step.
I suggest to make a button to start Total Commander NOT REGISTERED. For example as follows.

Find the folder where your wincmd.key is located. Create a sub folder there named "NoKey". In that folder create an empty file named wincmd.key.

Code: Select all

NoKey\WINCMD.KEY
Choose menu option Options/Change Setting Files Directly.
Under [Configuration] section add (or change) KeyPath setting pointing to the folder with your license file and add "\%Key%". Examples:

KeyPath=%COMMANDER_PATH%\%Key%
KeyPath=%$APPDATA%GHISLER\%Key%
Add the following button to your buttonbar (select and copy the text and paste on your button bar):

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
%comspec% /c set Key=NoKey& start "" "%COMMANDER_EXE%"

%COMMANDER_EXE%
Total Commander NOT REGISTERED
%COMMANDER_PATH%\

(use TC8.50)
j7n

Post by *j7n »

This works in 6.53 too if I replace the environment variables with literal paths. I didn't know buttons could be pasted. :)
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

j7n wrote:This works in 6.53 too if I replace the environment variables with literal paths.
Or use %COMMANDER_PATH%\TOTALCMD.EXE instead of %COMMANDER_EXE%
j7n wrote:I didn't know buttons could be pasted. :)
Shhh.. ! Don't tell anybody! :oops:
hansg

Post by *hansg »

IMO the display of the name should be optional at least for business use.

For personal use I have no problem that my name is displayed, but for commercial/business purposes this is in most cases a no-go.

I don't know how many times was I requested to remove it from screenshots.

I also did some screencasts, and I was forced not to use TC at all because it's practically impossible to remove such a thing from a video streaming without incredible amount of work.

The main problem I think is that there's no separate licence for business/commercial use compared to personal use.

I would have no problem paying more for business licenses, and also convince customers to buy more TC if for a business version there would be a few extras:
- silent MSI installer - to be able to install automatically on many computers
- remote config and plug-in management - to be able to do this on many computers at once (maybe remote license management too)
- better ordering process (more payment options, VAT for different countries)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry but this is the only "copy protection" in Total Commander. For business use, you can buy a license showing the name of the company or institution.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
batchman61

additional identifier in titlebar (optional)

Post by *batchman61 »

Hi,
can respect und understand authors statement regarding "copy protection".

My question is about an optional identifier at the beginning of the titlebar. This would be handy when running different instances in parallel. Today "", "[2]", "[3]" ... is the only difference then.

An optional Environment-Variable like COMMANDER_ID or a command line argument could do the job. It might be limited to 10 Chars to avoid shifting the standard content.

set COMMANDER_ID=Work
totalcmd64.exe
"Work - Total Commander (x64) 8.51 - LICENSE"

set COMMANDER_ID=Fun
totalcmd64.exe
"[2] Fun - Total Commander (x64) 8.51 - LICENSE"

This would allow to easily identify different instances of Total Commander in the Taskbar.

I'm aware of discussions including recommendations for tools and patches to achieve titlebar modification but would strongly prefer to see this implemented in the product.

@Ghisler:
any chance ?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You can try playing with icon libraries.

[Configuration]
IconLib=%COMMANDER_ICONLIB%
You just need to define this envvar for different instances. I think icon should allow to distinguish instances easily.
batchman61

Post by *batchman61 »

Thanks a lot MVV !

Made up a q+d config to modify titlebar icon.
It's not as convenient as an "ID" text for me but a real enhancement to "", "[1]", ...
batchman61

Post by *batchman61 »

Update

[Configuration]
IconLib=%INSTANCE%.icl

to modify taskbar icon of total commander instance seems to depend on ShowIcons=1.

Can anybody confirm please ?

Thanks