Compare Dirs inc. Dir Contents

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Would you like the "Compare Directories" feature to also include dir contents?

Yes, that would be great!
36%
The suggested approach on the 1st post below is a good starting point.
22%
I have another suggestion (see my post).
3%
I'm happy by using the "Synch" tool as a workaround.
19%
I'm using an external application as an alternative.
3%
I would like to see an improvement but let Christian decide the appropriate method.
14%
I would like no change whatsoever!
3%

Total votes: 36

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Compare Dirs inc. Dir Contents

Post by *pdavit »

There have been numerous problems and as a result requests for the lack of TC’s “Compare Directories” feature to also take into consideration directories and not just files.

I workaround that has been suggested by many users is to use the Synchronization feature instead, which is not always that flexible for simple comparisons.

Since speed is always Christian’s true love, my suggested best approach is the introduction of a second internal command (a “Compare Dirs inc. Dir Contents” feature if you like), which will also compare directory contents. Of course this should also apply in listings that do not contain any files but just directories.

A simple and fast alternative (or extension to the above if you like), that raises though some logical problems, is to apply the dir comparison of dirs just in the name level by marking them, for example, with a different colour coding. In this way dir contents will be excluded (as it currently is the case) but at least you’ll get a fast name matching of dirs (useful in lists that contain many directories).

As a future enhancement, the latter “name-level-of-comparison” feature could be applied by a third internal command. In this case the three commands will be:

1. A valid comparison of the two opposing panels without dirs into consideration (current TC behaviour). Reaction speed: FAST

2. A valid comparison of the two opposing panels including dirs and their contents. Not yet implemented. Reaction speed: SLOW

3. A name-level of comparison (falsely valid) over dirs with different colour coding indication (an indication actually of its false state). Not yet implemented. Reaction speed: FAST

Case 2 also introduces a logical problem: Will two dirs with same contents but different names be counted as equal or not?! That is of course when the comparison is performed outside of the dir contents. Should this minor difference be indicated somehow to the user or purely and strictly be counted as not-equal?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I think it's a good idea to include (optionally :lol: ) the compare of subdirectorys.

To the question of two dirs with different names but same content: I think if the content is not identical it should be indicated as different. Then the user can compare the subdirectories again to find out where the difference is.

I think it would be great to know a directory is identical with the other or not, just without to switch to each subdir and compare again.

Until now I often use the workaround with [ctrl]+ but unfortunately, if you see there are 2 files different you still not know in wich subdir and have to compare each subdir until you find the differnet ones.

I support this idea. Thabks for the attempt.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

@Sheepdog
Until now I often use the workaround with ctrl+b but unfortunately, if you see there are 2 files different you still not know in wich subdir and have to compare each subdir until you find the differnet ones.
Just a hint:
In branchview (ctrl+b), if you set the cursor on a filename, you will see the relative pathname of the file in the statusline below the active panel. So you then know where to find the file.
I admit this procedure is only acceptible if you wish to determine the path specifications of a very limited number of files.
Anyway, just wanted to mention it because you can find out the subdir specification of any file even in branchview.

[face=arial]Apart from this, I would like to support Pdavit's feature wish.

Kind regards,
Karl
[/face]
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

2karlchen

Nice hint, thx.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
tcm1998

Post by *tcm1998 »

I'm using beyond compare for this. The only thing I miss is to ask total commander for the files/dirs selected in the non-active pane.