Replace UC2 in TC packer menus with anything another

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Replace UC2 with 7zip, Uha, FreeArc, etc... ?

No, leave UC2
3%
Replace with 7zip
49%
Replace with UHA
No votes
Replace with FreeArc
4%
Replace with something customizable by user
43%

Total votes: 69

MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Replace UC2 in TC packer menus with anything another

Post by *MaxX »

Now UC2 becomes useless (16 bit software does NOT work on Win64).
7zip, Uha, FreeArc, etc... would be better choice.

Now (while TC is in beta) is good time to suggest it to be replaced.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

It would be even better to overhaul the packer dialog to allow the user to choose which packers should be shown for direct selection. Different users have different use cases, so if it's configurable everyone could be happy.

I'd really like to see some formats from packer plugins there. Yes, I can choose from the drop-down list, but that's just annoying when I need to switch the packer multiple times during my work - even more with plugins that are more pseudo-packers like TreeCopyPlus, CopyTree and the like.

So, I voted for "Replace with something customizable by user" since it's the one closest to my idea.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

Dalai wrote:I'd really like to see some formats from packer plugins there. Yes, I can choose from the drop-down list, but that's just annoying when I need to switch the packer multiple times during my work - even more with plugins that are more pseudo-packers like TreeCopyPlus, CopyTree and the like.
Exactly my thoughts whenever I use custom packer extensions!
You could even implement some more comfortable things, like the last three (or so) used packer extensions, quickly selectable with some keyboard shortcut, etc.

Anyway, if that dialog would have a customizable packer, the whole "Pack..." dialog should get a lot more space (width).
TC plugins: PCREsearch and RegXtract
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

We have grear Total7zip plugin, so I voted for FreeArc. I's powerful and stable tool even if in alpha state.
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I agree with Dalai and milo1012. I have never used ARJ, UC2, LHA, ACE packers from TC so I would prefer to make that archiver selection panel fully customizeable. I often use CopyTree, DiskDirExtended and Total7zip and I need to select one of them from list every time...
TW

Post by *TW »

same here. most of the packers there really are outdated.

- ARJ
- LHA
- UC2
- ACE

at least those 4 could go and be replaced by some newer packers.

a customizable panel would be the best of course.
licenced and happy TC user since 1994 (#11xx)
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

Dalai wrote:I'd really like to see some formats from packer plugins there. Yes, I can choose from the drop-down list, but that's just annoying when I need to switch the packer multiple times during my work - even more with plugins that are more pseudo-packers like TreeCopyPlus, CopyTree and the like.
Scrolllist is the solution, see [1] or [2].
milo1012 wrote:Anyway, if that dialog would have a customizable packer, the whole "Pack..." dialog should get a lot more space (width).
I don't think so:

[1]
Here's my first concept for "Pack files" dialog:
http://savepic.net/8240476.png
See diffrence:
1. WCX-plugins dropdown list is replaced with scrolllist
2. (optionally) Added 1 more packer
3. Buttons "Ok/Tree...." are moved to left side
BTW, if UC2 will be removed and 7ZIP (or anything else) would not be added, there would not be any need to move buttons to left.

[2]
Another concept I'll try explain with text, it is great pain to draw it in MsPaint, too much diffrence.
1. WCX-plugins dropdown list is replaced with scrolllist (the same to first concept)
2. EXE packers are shown at the top of scroll list.
3. External ACE, ARJ, LHA, RAR, UC2 are shown in common dropdown list (no button)
4. External ACE, ARJ, LHA, RAR, UC2 are shown only if their path string is filled. You can easily hide any of them when path string is empty.
5. Buttons are only used for internal packers (ZIP, TAR, GZ, TGZ).
Last edited by MaxX on 2016-06-18, 19:18 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2MaxX
At first, I thought about a similar control, but then I realized: it's not really faster to select a packer from a list, although you can see (almost) all of them at the same time. It would be cool to select a packer by some (configurable) hotkeys. Hotkeys like the ones you get when prefixing a letter with an ampersand in menus.

Unfortunately I doubt that such hotkeys can be used in a list control. My idea is to draw a radio button for every packer the user wants to see in the dialog, up to some max number (e.g. 3x 3 or 3x 5).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

2Dalai
I have over 30 plugins, 3x5 will be not enough, 3x10 will be ugly.
I like scrolllist idea because it will be more compact.
As you know, now in dropdown list i can chose plugin/extenstion just pressing its first letter when point is on "->".
The same should be with desired scrolllist. I mean, you push LMB on it (or on "->") and press any (first) letter you wish.
Also it could be small button to dropdown all list.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

MaxX wrote:I have over 30 plugins, 3x5 will be not enough [...]
Well, the idea is that you enable only the plugins/packers you need frequently. The remaining ones could be available via another control, e.g. some menu button or something like that. Menu buttons are used at several places in TC.
As you know, now in dropdown list i can chose plugin/extenstion just pressing its first letter when point is on "->".
Yes, but you can't directly select all of plugins/packers that start with the same letter. The same applies to a listbox.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

MaxX wrote:I don't think so
If a solution like your first one would be implemented, sure.
What I meant is if you make the radio buttons user configurable, we'd need a lot more width for them, as they are currently limited to three characters, and we can have any length with custom extensions (like "TreeCopy").
MaxX wrote:[1]
Here's my first concept for "Pack files" dialog:
Looks good. A much better overlook over all available extensions.
Dalai wrote:Unfortunately I doubt that such hotkeys can be used in a list control.
That's why I'm for either an additional "history" list, where you can quickly select the last used extensions with hotkeys,
or for three (or so) additional radio buttons, fillable by the user with his favorite extensions, maybe selectable with numpad 1, 2, 3 or similar.
Based on MaxX's first concept, sth. like
https://abload.de/img/tc9_packer_concept_0111z8v.png
TC plugins: PCREsearch and RegXtract
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Dalai
Unfortunately I doubt that such hotkeys can be used in a list control.
I don't think it's impossible. It could work like this.

1. User presses key.
2. The event is sent to the dialog
3. Handle the event by forwarding the key to a method that checks the mnemonics set in the (custom drawn) list.
4. If there is a match set the item index accordingly and set the focus to the listbox.
5. If there is no match continue with standard key handler

This is how it could look like:
http://lefteous.totalcmd.net/tc/ideas/packer_dialog2.png
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Lefteous
Mmh, that could work. Your mockup looks good. I would separate the internal packers from plugins, though, maybe with some thin line in the list. And I wouldn't drop the little star that visualizes an external packer is needed for that format.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Simple popup menu may also be used for custom packers (with auto-assigned shortcuts, e.g. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 ..., a, b, c, ...).
Popup menu would be opened by clicking a button (with shortcut too, and this button could display currently selected packer).

And, of course, internal parametrized command for opening pack dialog with PRESELECTED packer would be another step to the future.

Would be really nice to hide unused predefined packers from list. I have none of 5 filled with paths in settings.
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

My concept #2 as an image:
http://savepic.net/8245628.png
("xz" is an example of selected item).