Replace UC2 in TC packer menus with anything another

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Replace UC2 with 7zip, Uha, FreeArc, etc... ?

No, leave UC2
3%
Replace with 7zip
49%
Replace with UHA
No votes
Replace with FreeArc
4%
Replace with something customizable by user
43%

Total votes: 69

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: UC2-related bugs (Re: Replace UC2 in TC packer menus with anything another)

Post by *DrShark »

DrShark wrote: 2019-11-12, 20:51 UTC5. This bug if half of TC and half of UC2, and was partially fixed in 2010:
HISTORY.TXT wrote:22.01.10 Fixed: Open an UC2-packed file could leave a file "U$~reslt.ok" in directory of the archive -> explicitly delete it
However, under following coditions the file U$~RESLT.OK still appears:
1. Start TC, dirs in left & right panels may be completely different.
2. Open uc2 archive in left panel.
3. Press Tab to switch to right panel.
4. Refresh right panel with Ctrl+R: you'll see U$~RESLT.OK file there.

This U$~RESLT.OK is created only 1st time I open uc2 archive in certain panel.

Problems caused by this bug: U$~RESLT.OK file appears and stays undeleted in a path of panel opposite to one where archive is opened, and the timestamp of a folder in that opposite panel changes to a time of that U$~RESLT.OK file creation.
Actually pressing Ctrl+U before opening archive has been required to reliably reproduce it. I can confirm that it has been fixed with following fix:
history950.txt wrote:28.01.20 Fixed: uc2: when listing content of archives, a file u$~reslt.ok was created in the current directory (not necessarily the one of the archive) (32)
in TC 9.50 RC2.
DrShark wrote: 2019-11-12, 20:51 UTC1 and 2. Bugs 1 and 2 (related). For both following bugs it looks like TC doesn't pass some correct 8.3 name at some stage of dealing with UC.EXE, so I consider below as TC bugs. To reproduce:
1) open in both TC panels the same path, but using different names:
in 1st panel open its long name path, so it will look like c:\longnametest\1\,
and 2nd pane open its 8.3 path, so it will look like c:\longna~1\1\
2) make a long name file in this dir with f.e. "name.eng.txt" as a long name with its "nameen~1.txt" as a 8.3 one
3) Execute cm_switchlongnames command, so TC will show 8.3 name of file "name.eng.txt" in 1st panel
4) bug 1: in a panel with 8.3 path (2nd panel in above steps),
try to pack nameen~1.txt: it will fail with error from UC2:

Code: Select all

SYSTEM ERROR: path not found (attempting to create C:\LONGNANMETEST\1\U$$VRKAI.TMP)
Packing from panel with long path (2nd panel in above steps) will work fine, you'll get an archive nameen~1.uc2 with a file nameen~1.txt inside. We'll use it to reproduce next bug.
5) bug 2: try to open the archive nameen~1.uc2 we made in step 4 from 1st panel (where current path is a long name path), TC will show an error:

Code: Select all

---------------------------
Total Commander
Error in packed file c:\longnametest\1\nameen~1.uc2!
ОК   
Notes: unpacking archives with Alt+F6 works for both long and 8.3 path panels.
Bugs doesn't seem to occur if cm_swithlongnames mode is off (=TC shows long names in panel filelist).
I can confirm issue 2 has also been fixed in TC 9.50 RC2, and issue 1 has been fixed in TC 9.50 final (both bugfixes uncredited).

I suggest to move this post to Fixed bugs subforum, and above post to Behaviour will not be changed one (then I'll edit it to reflect changes on what was actually fixed as of now).
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Replace UC2 in TC packer menus with anything another

Post by *MaxX »

Any feedback, please?
Now is the best time to do this... Beta testing is in progress, we have enough time until final comes...
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

I was able to make UC work on Windows 10 64-bit. I'm wondering if somebody could test it with TC, because I don't have a 32-bit Windows and the option is disabled in my TC.
dindog

Post by *dindog »

I never meet arj or ace uc files, in my lifetime. Seldom use tar, gz tgz in Windows, but indeed, like MVV, I use quite some TC's packer plugins and think they are really powerful in certain cases. They deserve a better selection area than the current drop down list compare to those nobody using archive format
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

Just a thought regarding the Packer gui:

current selection:
ZIP RAR TAR
ARJ UC2 GZ
LHA ACE TGZ
-> [more in pulldown]
I would argue (without any hard evidence) that:

ZIP RAR TAR TGZ GZ

are what many TC users 'find in the wild' and actually (would) use.

UC2 ACE ARJ LHA I doubt it very much, with UC2 begin the most problematic as it is hard to get working on 64bit.

My suggestion would be similar to the Icon libraries the user selects at first startup, keep the current, but present the user with an option for newer packers, so depending on the setting the contents of the packer options changes.

So we can get "rid" of UC2 ACE ARJ LHA in the main gui part and move those to the pulldown, so they are still accessible to those who do need/use them.

New packer selection which would even leave two (or three) spaces for other standard packers (I have no suggestions as such)
ZIP 7Z RAR
TAR TGZ GZ
LST [?] [?]
-> [more in pulldown]
(ideally the user would be able to select the 9 packers but that might be too much work, just having two sets of 9 where they can toggle the options between "standard" and "modern" like the icon libraries in the settings should be easier)
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Somehow it is rather strange that the author has not commented on this problem for a long time and did not add or correct it. Does he really have some strategic information somewhere in the private databases about HOW the shares of the use of archivers are actually distributed and this UC2 suddenly occupies more than 25% there? Who knows...

BUT in general - it is very strange that such rare archivers are still available by default - and for convenient configuration of some new archiver, you can only use the hope that someone has made an archiver plug-in for it. Although the settings of Total itself should just have fields for 5/10 lines, in which the user himself would set the paths and launch parameters of his archivers. And the first 4 could be occupied by default ZIP RAR TAR TGZ GZ.
#146217 personal license