Feature request: Preview png files as icon files do

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Preview png files as icon files do (see linked image)

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 11

pakosan

Feature request: Preview png files as icon files do

Post by *pakosan »

Please look at the image in the link as it demonstrates the current limitation of TotalCommander.

https://imgur.com/8AMu7f4

As you can see, the icon files show their content while the png do not.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Feature request: Preview png files as icon files do

Post by *MVV »

Currently there is no way or plugin interface for using custom icons for files in iconic modes, only in thumb mode, so I doubt that something will be changed here.

Perhaps it would be better for you to request an extension of current WDX or WCX plugin API to add support for extracting icons from files to be used in brief or full views... Currently only WFX interface supports icon extraction for remote files.
And I don't talk about just PNGs, it could affect any file format that have a corresponging plugin. But such feature would require proper configuring, like using internal associations.

Another way that you have is to install some kind of Windows shell extension that provides custom icons for PNG or other files, I believe such extensions exist.
pakosan

Post by *pakosan »

MVV wrote: 2019-09-26, 06:08 UTC Currently there is no way or plugin interface for using custom icons for files in iconic modes, only in thumb mode, so I doubt that something will be changed here.

Perhaps it would be better for you to request an extension of current WDX or WCX plugin API to add support for extracting icons from files to be used in brief or full views... Currently only WFX interface supports icon extraction for remote files.
And I don't talk about just PNGs, it could affect any file format that have a corresponging plugin. But such feature would require proper configuring, like using internal associations.

Another way that you have is to install some kind of Windows shell extension that provides custom icons for PNG or other files, I believe such extensions exist.
Thanks for the reply.

I do use some of the workarounds you mentioned.

I am also aware that a plugin would not do. This is something that would likely have to be done to the main source code and be provided as an option.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

TC is not a monolithic program, it supports plugins that allow e.g. viewing multiple image formats, so it is definitely wrong idea to add support for specific image format to TC itself, it is more correct to extend plugin interface so users could install plugins for extracting icons for desired file formats.
pakosan

Post by *pakosan »

MVV wrote: 2019-09-27, 09:10 UTC TC is not a monolithic program, it supports plugins that allow e.g. viewing multiple image formats, so it is definitely wrong idea to add support for specific image format to TC itself, it is more correct to extend plugin interface so users could install plugins for extracting icons for desired file formats.
True.

But TC supports such a feature for icon files without a need for a plugin.

My view of it is that icons files once were the only way to use, well, icons. Nowadays, I have entire directories of icons in png files that I use in various projects. I reckon I cannot be alone.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Only because ICO files have their own icons in all Windows versions. TC does nothing special for supporting ICO files.
pakosan

Post by *pakosan »

MVV wrote: 2019-09-28, 15:34 UTC
Only because ICO files have their own icons in all Windows versions. TC does nothing special for supporting ICO files.
Yes, that was my suspicion.
VSB

Post by *VSB »

The other way is creating Shell Extension IconHandler for png files
jinsight

Post by *jinsight »

Second MVV's view.
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)