TC's Betas

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Should TC's betas be public?

yes
47%
no
53%

Total votes: 93

JP

TC's Betas

Post by *JP »

I think everybody should have the right to try the betas. Just my opinion...
Kosch

Post by *Kosch »

i become a few betas on my pc - i know what's the problem with it.
i think if gishler wants to give us a public beta, he does - but i think, he knows what he does.
only my 2 cents.
btw.: i become no beta from him.
XPKiller

Post by *XPKiller »

Of course they should be public, with time limit for 15-30 days,we the people can give feedbacks and help the author make the product even better.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

The prupose of Beta-Testing is to find bugs. Of the tested program.
That for you need advanced user who know the program well and can distinguish between program related and OS-related errors or at least minimize the 'false positives'.
There is always the danger of unintentional behavior of the program. That can lead in the worst case to data loss and/or system-crashes. Especially with a basic program like a filemanager.

That for you need tester who know about the risk and take precautions.

For me it shows a high degree of responsibility if a programmer publishes a public beta not before he is sure the program is stable enough.

If you think you are qualified to be a beta tester you may send a request to support@ghisler.com.

That's my opinion.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Clo

Each one's job!

Post by *Clo »

2Sheepdog
:) Hello Stefan !
• I agree fully, and I have been the first to vote : “NO

:mrgreen: V G
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

XPKiller,
During the beta test some things have changed that have affected the functionality of custom columns and thumbnails for example. Every beta tester who played around with custom columns had to recreate them or edit them to suit the change. Now just imagine hundreds of people who wouldn't read the what's new summary complaining that their custom columns suddenly don't work. That really wouldn't speed up the beta testing process. And there were and will be more of these little annoyances.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC's Betas

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

JP wrote:I think everybody should have the right to try the betas. Just my opinion...
I totally disagree and fully understand christian and
imho it should only be the authors decision if betas becomes
public or not!
Hoecker sie sind raus!
chriss

Post by *chriss »

hi
Sheepdog wrote:The prupose of Beta-Testing is to find bugs. Of the tested program.
100 ack!

Sheepdog wrote:That for you need advanced user who know the program well and can distinguish between program related and OS-related errors or at least minimize the 'false positives'.
well - what do you know about my qualification???
from where do you want to know if someone else is less qualified then you?

this is abusive an arrogant!!

Sheepdog wrote:There is always the danger of unintentional behavior of the program. That can lead in the worst case to data loss and/or system-crashes. Especially with a basic program like a filemanager.

thats something all beta-programms have common. i have to be old enough to be able to say i accept this risc or not.
Sheepdog wrote:For me it shows a high degree of responsibility if a programmer publishes a public beta not before he is sure the program is stable enough.
for me it sounds like the arrogance of these which haves something what others doesn´t have (sounds familiar, eh? ;))
Sheepdog wrote:If you think you are qualified to be a beta tester you may send a request to support@ghisler.com.
christian doesn´t answer....
Sheepdog wrote: That's my opinion.

sheepdog
well - and this is mine!
Sir_SiLvA wrote: I totally disagree and fully understand christian and
imho it should only be the authors decision if betas becomes
public or not!
this is the only reason that counts. it may be that i cannot understand it but i have to accept it - even if i don´t like it.

btw: no one of you beta-testers should wonder that one leaked version is so in great demand - see it positive :?
gruß

chriss
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Sheepdog wrote:There is always the danger of unintentional behavior of the program. That can lead in the worst case to data loss and/or system-crashes. Especially with a basic program like a filemanager.

thats something all beta-programms have common. i have to be old enough to be able to say i accept this risc or not.
That's not the point. Given there is a critical bug in a BETA version and this version is public. The public opinion about Total Commander wouldn't become much better :!:
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

chriss wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:That for you need advanced user who know the program well and can distinguish between program related and OS-related errors or at least minimize the 'false positives'.
well - what do you know about my qualification???

That was neither a personal attack in any context by Sheepdog nor one of arrogance.

It was clear that he ment that by making a beta available to all users you
certainly make it available to inexperienced ones as well.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

chriss wrote:well - what do you know about my qualification???
Nothing.
In my opinion it is the task of the beta tester to prove that he is qualified to do a proper testers job. And fortunately I'm not the one who has to decide if he is.

Apart from this I meant it rather as a reply to JP's
"...everybody should have the right to try the betas..."
because I do not think so.
But I did not mean that JP or you or anyone special is not qualified. I meant only that not everone is qualified.

Sorry, I fear you misunderstood me.
I believe that you are old and clever enough to make this decision.

But I know that lots of people can't judge the risc. And one guy who complains is one too much.
for me it sounds like the arrogance of these which haves something what others doesn´t have (sounds familiar, eh? ;))
No, I don't know what you mean.
christian doesn´t answer....

Up to now I got always an answer from @ghisler to my emails.

btw: no one of you beta-testers should wonder that one leaked version is so in great demand - see it positive :?
Who wonders?

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Sorry, but I couldn't resist...

Where is the "I don't care" option? :)

Cause it's not a thing that avoid me sleeping...

If they were public I would perhaps test it, but I think it's far more dangerous to test a file manager than a web browser.

Best regards.
JP

Post by *JP »

CoMiKe wrote:Sorry, but I couldn't resist...

Where is the "I don't care" option? :)

Cause it's not a thing that avoid me sleeping...[/url]

Best regards.
If you really don't care, why are you here answering to the question... :lol:
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

2Kosch
i become a few betas on my pc
BTW and total OT: become is a false friend. (It stands for german "werden" and not for english "get, receive") :)
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

JP wrote:If you really don't care, why are you here answering to the question...
:D I think it's not an answer, but an opinion.

The question is "Should TC's betas be public?" and I haven't answered neither yes nor no? :?: :)

Un saludo!