What language do you use with TC

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

What Language do you use with TC

English AND I am English
8%
English AND I use it instead of my own language
38%
Afrikaans
No votes
Albanian
No votes
Belarussian
No votes
Bulgarian
No votes
Catalan
1%
Chinese GB
2%
Chinese TW
1%
Croatian
1%
Czech
2%
Danish
2%
Dutch
3%
Esperanto
1%
Estonian
1%
Finnish
1%
French
5%
Galician
No votes
Greek
1%
German
20%
Hebrew
1%
Hungarian
1%
Icelandic
No votes
Indonesian
No votes
Italian
3%
Japanese
No votes
Korean
1%
Latvian
No votes
Lithuanian
No votes
Luxembourgish
No votes
Macedonian
No votes
Norwegian
1%
Polish
4%
Portuguese BRA
No votes
Portuguese POR
No votes
Romanian
1%
Russian
3%
Serbian
No votes
Slovak
No votes
Slovenian
No votes
Spanish
4%
Swedish
2%
Thai
No votes
Turkish
No votes
Ukrainian
2%
Uzbek
No votes
Valencia
No votes
Vietnamese (outside Vietnam)
No votes
Vietnamese (Vietnam)
No votes
(something else)
No votes

Total votes: 200

Maxwish

What language do you use with TC

Post by *Maxwish »

TC can be used in nearly 50 languages (see here).
This means users all of the world can enjoy the pleasure of working with Total Commander in their native language.

But it does have a down side: certain changes of the interface would need all the language files to be updated. This would take a lot of work (for example: see this thread)

Personaly I use the English interface, even though I'm Dutch.
Most commands in TC are such general computer terms and are also used in other software (that is mostly only in English) that I find it very practical to use English in TC.

Just to see what you are using, I've made this poll.

tips:
- Their are 2 options for English: the first for native English speakers and the second for people that choose to use the English language instead of their own language, like me.
- If you, for example, are German but I use the Greek language, than you should just choose "Greek"
...BRB...
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

Small addition:

The results might also be interesting for plugin developpers:
it will give them insight on what translations would be interesting to add to their plugins.

So everybody please vote...
...BRB...
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

Not really relevant, but I must say that the Norwegian translation is very good! All credit to the translator!

A little praise is appropriate, because I feel that generally, Norwegian software-translations are so bad, they're unusable (at least to me). The TC-one is a nice exception :)
license #76904
Ivan Moratinos

Post by *Ivan Moratinos »

I've found some errors in the Esperanto translation of the last version. I see some strange "ä" characters in some sections (Options for instance).
---
Mi trovis kelkajn erarojn en la Esperanta traduko de la lasta versio. Mi vidas iujn strangajn "ä" karakterojn en kelkaj partoj de la programo. (Agordoj ekzemple)
Esperanto estas la solvo - http://ikso.net/
Clo

Push to English only?

Post by *Clo »

Maxwish
The results might also be interesting for plugin developpers:
it will give them insight on what translations would be interesting to add to their plugins.
:) Hi!
I fear that such an opinion (yours, I say that very friendly) incite the plugins' authors to write programs in English only...
I love TC, because the language system is one in the best I know; it allows easily to translate the whole program alright... But whether all addons'ld be in English only, I think that the TC superiority in languages'ld decrease so much globally...
Moreover, some actual languages are not always polished up in plugins / partners programs, example, please see:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2619
None reply at this moment...
:lol: You could think: "The most people speak English..." False, the most spoken language in the world is... Chinese! :lol:
:wink: Last detail: I'm the French translator for updates / Help etc.
:) Friendly,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Clo

Fonts?

Post by *Clo »

Ivan Moratinos wrote:I've found some errors in the Esperanto translation of the last version. I see some strange "ä" characters in some sections (Options for instance).
---
Mi trovis kelkajn erarojn en la Esperanta traduko de la lasta versio. Mi vidas iujn strangajn "ä" karakterojn en kelkaj partoj de la programo. (Agordoj ekzemple)
Hi!
That could be a font / Table of code issue... or simply typing errors with a German keyboard... :?:
:) friendly,
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Clo

Fixed...

Post by *Clo »

Ivan Moratinos wrote:
I've found some errors in the Esperanto translation of the last version. I see some strange "ä" characters in some sections (Options for instance).

:) Hi again!
Though I don't know this language, I downloaded its file, and found / fixed up these errors.
The good file is available at:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/charries/download/wcm_eo.zip
Get it and unpack into your "languages" sub-directory in the TC directory.
Overwrite the actual file (answer "yes" at the prompt)
Friendly,
Clo
Aezay

Re: Push to English only?

Post by *Aezay »

Clo wrote:You could think: "The most people speak English..." False, the most spoken language in the world is... Chinese!
I don't agree. The most used native language is Chinese, but I still think there are more people who knows English than Chinese.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

It doesn't matter if most people in the world speak Chinese or not.
What matters is what most TC users speak and read! And that's what this poll is for.

Unless Christian is anticipating on China as an emerging market, but AFAIK China is building and promoting some kind of lowcost *nixOS to stop their dependency on Microsoft. So I wouldn't put my money on it...

BTW
1- This poll is not objective. Because it made in English, all non-English reading voters wouldn't have the foggiest idea what it is about in the first place and/or wouldn't even read this poll.
If we did this poll on www.wincmd.ru - I think there Russian, Ukraine etc languages would get much more votes

2- I find the second result quite interesting and it has the most votes:
* English AND I use it instead of my own language
...BRB...
Clo

Watch smilies...

Post by *Clo »

:D Hello!
It was a joke about Chinese, of course! Please look at the smilies, and keep cool... :lol:
More seriously, I don't wish English everywhere, I fight for five years, trying to get translatable programs! It's not a piece of cake, I know a low ratio of translatable softs.

:roll: More votes'ld be better in your poll, new users arrive: they can improve the result...
Friendly,
Clo
bb

Post by *bb »

I used German (my native language) for many years and the german translation is really good, but i changed to english some time ago. There is no real reason for it - maybe because i use most programms in english and this looks more uniform, maybe because i was tired of translating the items/change the language just to help some englishspeaking ppl with TC :)
mfg, bb
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 18-12-2003 10:01:53 +0000 MaxWish wrote:

M> 2- I find the second result quite interesting and it has
M> the most votes:
M> * English AND I use it instead of my own language

Exactly. English is present day Latin - the language of science and education (actually at school I learned it as language of hypothetical enemy but this changes nothing %). This fact is so obvious that people who trying to contest it definitely need medical assistance.[/face]
jb

Post by *jb »

bb wrote:... the german translation is really good, ...
German is the original language of TC! :)
As far as I know Mr. Ghisler translates it to the other forum languages by himself. So you may consider these languages also original.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Only English+German are by myself. Originally I also translated to French, but this is now done by forum user "Clo". Many thanks to him and to all other translators!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jb

Post by *jb »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Originally I also translated to French, but this is now done by forum user "Clo".
Oh yes, how could I forget omnipresent Traducteur "Clo"? :oops: