Do you want an icon competition?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

How should we decide on new icons in TC?

With an icon design competition.
41%
By using the icons from user "StickyNomad" as a base.
27%
By hiring a professional designer. Please make suggestions below.
9%
Other (please specify below).
2%
I don't care, the current icons are OK.
21%

Total votes: 91

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Sam Zen wrote:...TC has its icons, and there are external possibilities to add or replace icons by other ones.
In my case, I use some of the default TC ones for functions, others has been replaced by those fine ones of StickyNomad,
and other icons I have made myself linking to sub-bars, like 'sys', to apps that are scarcely used, but must be available.
You're perfectly right under the perspectives of TC's high "configurability" and pro user base.

But this is a chance to attract even more users and make the product ready for upcoming Windows releases (even look-wise) and why not more appealing and pleasant to use with additional icons for popular internal commands in addition to newly added features like custom columns and the thumbnail view. Why does someone have to sit down and design an icon for his needs while it could easily be provided by the application as a default? Does everybody have the tools, the time and the ability to go down that road? Clo is very right when he said that many users install TC and immediately follow by uninstalling it because of its looks. And that also includes pro users.

That was actually even my first reaction when I was looking for an alternative file manager to my Norton Commander for Windows nearly 10 years ago since Norton was not further developed in order to follow the development of the OS. The friend who suggested me TC (at that time WC) had to make me sit my f____ a____ down and listen to him while he was demonstrating to me TC's powers in order to persuade me. If I got that reaction 10 years ago being used to even an outdated rival, what do you think could be the reaction of a new user seeing a product with the exact same looks as of that time?

I'm passionate about new icons for TC just because I'm passionate about TC itself, its future and its users, new or old. It's not a personal request. I might not even be using new icons if added in the near future. But I will be satisfied that my favourite application is pleasant to use for most users, it has the specs to attract new ones, and the like. Pure and simple! ;)

Regards,
Panos
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Hello Sam Zen !
Imagine, you have installed the Total Commander the first time.
You may find 30 icons in TC for -lets say- 350 commands !
This is not a question of design...

A little off-topic:
I have made a system.bar for TCmenu, take a look at:
http://img258.echo.cx/my.php?image=scrsysbar5gz.jpg
Wouldt it not be great to have all menus designed like that ?
When a user don´t like it, he couldt turn it off.
If Total Commander change to a skinnable program,
you could use a DOS-skin or whatever you like.
But until that, you have no choice.
Even when you are a opportunist, so I am, you should
realize: To stay where you are, means to stay back...
Total Commander needs more and better icons !
...and more than this.

Kind regards
Stance
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Stance wrote:If Total Commander change to a skinnable program
Thanks *who ever you belive in* this will never happen :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I have extracted the Krusader icons that resemble much of the standard TC icons in terms of functionality but with a much better look. The source distribution included three sizes, 16x16, 22x22 and 32x32 in addition to various logos up to 64x64. All icons are in png format and with transparency. You can get them here as a single zip file: http://ice.prohosting.com/inornate/k_icons_png.zip

Someone with the appropriate tools can manipulate the list and convert the pngs to a single icl file in compliance with TC's icon structure.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please note that these icons are probably under GPL, so don't forget to include the GPL, and the icon sources (e.g. the individual images before packing).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com