Non-modal search window

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Non-modal search window

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 140

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
OK, well, then back to suggestion 1b)

The search window would become modeless after the search is invoked and only if search in archives is disabled. So the modality would depend on the search in archives checkbox.

Would that be possible?
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

SUPPORT ++
That would be already a huge step forward!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
mikscomputers

Post by *mikscomputers »

how about a seach box in a TAB ? - even pausing or stopping the search in previous box is better than the modal search - if U need help - we are here :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The search window would become modeless after the search is invoked and only if search in archives is disabled. So the modality would depend on the search in archives checkbox.
This would be possible, but then "feed to listbox" would become impossible when the user started copying in some other dirs...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
but then "feed to listbox" would become impossible when the user started copying in some other dirs...
Would it be possible to disable Feed to listbox during that copying (or any other blocking operation) and reenabling it when the operation finishes (or is sent to background)?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, difficult - I could detect when there is a modal dialog box, but some situations like a slow ftp server couldn't be detected this way...
tungwaiyip

Post by *tungwaiyip »

I really want to see a background search feature too. A search typically takes a long time. Often I want to keep on working while this run in the background. I sometimes have to use the Windows search for this. Launching another instance of TC has its issue because the tabs aren't replicated.

The issue with external packer sounds minor to me. Some smart coding to serialize the request should work. If not making background search and search in archive exclusive should be a minor UI tweak.
Ewoks

Post by *Ewoks »

Hacker wrote:OK, well, then back to suggestion 1b)
Totaly agree with this.. Enable it in hidden features for users familiar with problem as someone said. What happen with this request in last 3years nobody came up with solution? :(
Ewoks

Post by *Ewoks »

this one also dead? ;(
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

See my second post, I already wrote that "I'm sorry but this is technically impossible".
fudgebottom

Post by *fudgebottom »

This would be a great feature to have, I too always need to open multiple copies of TC which is a bit of a pain....

I'm sure there must be away to get this working hopefully Ghisler manages to find a way to get it working some how :-)
mab007

Post by *mab007 »

I think it is ralizedable at least as background/joblist simillary to this thread.
Dstruct

Post by *Dstruct »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Most unpackers like the external unrar.dll do not work correctly or even crash when called multiple times
Really? I mean WinRAR a least supports multithreading for some time now ...
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

ghisler(Author) wrote:but then "feed to listbox" would no longer be possible.
I've been thinking about this for a long time. Couldn't the two instances of TC (calling and searching) share a memory space for just this kind of functionality? Perhaps with an interprocess message consisting of a handle to the results file list structure and an instruction word to tell the originating instance what to do with it...?
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
siealex

Post by *siealex »

One thing which I want. BACKGROUND SEARCHING! Sometimes searches take up to 2 hours (especially on network drives) and I cannot use TC that time...
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...