Do you use 16-bit TC version?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Do you use 16-bit version of TC?

Yes, I use it permanently!
3%
Yes, I use it sometimes (rarely)
4%
I started it couple of times - just for fun ;)
9%
No, I absolutely do not use TC 16-bit
84%

Total votes: 117

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Do you use 16-bit TC version?

Post by *Flint »

There was already a similar poll here, but it's 2 years age. I'd like to make a new poll, a bit different and some more detailed.

So, do you use 16-bit version of TC?
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
titanium

Post by *titanium »

I think it's time to drop support for 16-bit. It's been more than 10 years since windows 95 appeared, i don't think that anyone uses windows 3.11 anymore (and if they do there is only a small chance their are using TC). The future is 64 bit, supporting 16 bit is just holding back this natural development.
Clo

Do you know…

Post by *Clo »

2titanium

:) Hello !

- You are speaking like a well heeled “Western / Northern” guy…
- Do you know that in many poor countries they are using antiquated 16-bit machines still?
• I even received some resquests from Africa asking for donations of old PCs, because they have almost nothing :!:
- This came from teachers who are happy to recover such machines to use in schools…
- And learning the computing bases from DOS first is not so bad, finally.

- This occurs even here in France for the nurse-schools for which no founds are planned by the government… :|
- I know too some small companies in my city (which is not an African village…) that use still an old Win 3.11 WorksGroup network, because it's sufficient with regard to their limited needs…

- Hence, I guess that only Ch. Ghisler can appreciate whether the 16-bit version must be continued / supported still.
- I bet he's aware about that I tell above, and his own philosophy (AFAIK it…) rather leads him to continue for a while.
- Besides, I don't think that the updades of the new 16-bit versions need a big job, since the most newest features can't be supported.
- Hence, our Author doesn't spend a large part of his precious time for this, IMHO…

- Till a couple of years ago, I tested the new 16-bit versions in a real 16-bit environment. Unfortunately, I miss room @ home by now to reinstall a 16-bit machine; so, I can't really vote here.
- I guess that using / testing the 16-bit versions in the machines we have noawadays doesn't make sense (even in a virtual machine).

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
j7n

Post by *j7n »

No one forbids using an application who's development has been discontinued. It's not that the current version (or previous ones) would crash every hour.
D1P

Post by *D1P »

No, 16-bit version absolutely useless for me (i dont use 16-bit OS from 1996 year). And now i have 64-bit processor (AMD Athlon) and i hope, that the 64-bit version of TC will appear as soon as possible (yeah, i know, i know... no Delphi 64 at present, still waiting).
MPS

Post by *MPS »

i used it on win 3.1 back in mid-late 1990's.
PeaceMaker

Post by *PeaceMaker »

Some companies still using 16 bit DOS/WIN3.11 platform for "Central Office Card" management, so 16 bit TC is needed!!!
[face=tahoma]LICENSE NUMBER: #101897 Single user license (since: 6th February 2004)
CURRENT VERSION: Total Commander 9.00 beta 12 (released: 31st August 2016)
[/face]
TLis

Post by *TLis »

As j7n said, there is no problem in dropping the development of the 16-bit version, as it already does enough to be used on such old machines. Therefore, I do not see a need for any further development (so no new features, just fixing of real bugs). The machines for "Central Office Card" management could then use the latest released version, and people from Africa or France seeking new machines, could do with it as well. As the last resort, they could start using Linux instead of Windows, couldn't they? There is Midnight Commander file manager in Linux, so they should be fine.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed I'm doing only bugfixes now to the 16-bit version, although I have backported one important feature to TC 6.57: Limiting the search depth. This was requested by a user.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com