Do we need to reconsider the forum-standards ?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

$Do we need to reconsider the forum-standards ?

I don't want any [OT] posts anymore here
38%
[OT]'s can be placed, but only in e.g. the 'Quarrel' section
31%
I don't care, let them have it
31%

Total votes: 29

Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Do we need to reconsider the forum-standards ?

Post by *Sam_Zen »

I noticed lately a fast growing phenomenon on this forum, causing lots of irrelevant space, the tones are increasing in aggression, personal attacks, etc. Moderators have to handle an increasing numbers of posts, because forum rules are not followed. For the first in my forum-time I was forced to use the 'ignore' button, because I found it a waste of time to be confronted with such thing frequently.
I know this is my personal view, but I'm just worrying a bit about the future of this forum.
The discussion about this is now still scattered around the place, so that's why this poll.

NB : I don't mind about jokes, but making personal insults or bad language is simply something else.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Good night, folks.

I voted for the second option "[OT]'s can be placed, but only in e.g. the 'Quarrel' section.

Reason:
I do not think it will be feasible to forbid any offtopic message. It may often be just a matter of personal taste if a message is offtopic or not. And I do not think that "some" offtopic messages will do any harm.

Yet, I do think - and I assume that this is in line with Sam Zen's intention - that this forum has experienced a certain demoralisation. To put it more clearly: a few people have developed a strong tendency of provoking or insulting other forum members. This often leads to lengthy futile discussions which help nobody, but which make threads virtually unreadable.
I guess simply moving such sequences of messages to the "[OT] Quarrels" thread is much more effective than trying to teach the "bad boys" manners or constantly having to ban them.

My answer to the question "Do we need to reconsider the forum-standards ?" is:
No, the forum rules/standards are based on common sense. So we all should probably simple stick to them. Yet, it might be that this not really the age of common sense any more. :roll:

Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
Clo

Der Wurm is right…

Post by *Clo »

2Sam Zen

:) Hello !

• Prior, I do say that this poll is useful, thanks.
- Second, I voted like “der Wurm” above, 'cause I think that his speach is realistic…

- Even if I don't moderate the English fora directly, I could aim some warnings (allowed by the Author¦Admin for me), but I avoided this till today, although that tickled me several times. :evil:

- Now, we need the Ch. Ghisler's opinion, hoping this poll should help him in a good decision… :roll:

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

I think special subforum for questions not directly related to TC is a good solution. Moderators can simply move offtopic threads to this subforum.

ed: typos
Last edited by poiuytr on 2006-02-05, 12:03 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2poiuytr

Also have a look here, this has already been discussed intensively, but with no conclusion yet.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't like the idea of an OT subforum - I never visit these on other boards, so I assume that others wouldn't read it here either. This would lead to increased off topic discussions in regular threads. I think that as long as off topic threads aren't too many, and clearly marked with [OT], they can be avoided quite easily.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

I never visit these on other boards, so I assume that others wouldn't read it here either
what a strange view.....

tell me, is this forum all about you ?
Habemus majkam!
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

majkinetor ! wrote:tell me, is this forum all about you ?
This forum is not about the man Christian Ghisler at all, but it is all about his product, Total Commander.

And this is what I expect to find here, questions, suggestions, reports, complaints, discussions all referring to Total Commander.
If I wish to read about different topics I will visit different forums or subscribe to the appropriate usenet groups.

As I said before I am not against any offtopic message as such, but I can pretty well do without the kind of childish quarrels that have been started by a few people recently. They are neither funny, nor helpful. They are simply boring and annoying to read.

That is why I support the idea of moving any such sequences of personal quarrels to the "[OT] Quarrels" trashcan so that those not enjoying them can skip them.

Karl
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Wow.... :!:
Habemus majkam!
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This would lead to increased off topic discussions in regular threads.
I see your point. A more psychologically driven effect to keep the attention.
karlchen wrote:My answer to the question "Do we need to reconsider the forum-standards ?" is:
No, the forum rules/standards are based on common sense.
I agree. The formulation of the topic-title was more a rhetorical one, to avoid naming [OT] directly.

Your second post illustrates exactly about the menace I'm talking about. Although I can 'ignore' some posters, I still have to read the replies to them, in this case
'This forum is not about the man Christian Ghisler at all, but it is all about his product'

2 Clo
Thanks. I thought it was time to bring this up. If everything stays the same after all, fine by me, I can handle it, but my concerns were more with the moderators of this forum, to get a clear policy for this.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Sad poll, several sad statements, sad atmosphere rising.
Why do you put fuel in the fire for no reason? What exactly happened the past days that would give this poll a deeper sense?

Please, do me a favour, all voters of the first option:
Write down your nick here so I can safely expand my ignore list, you are highly welcome.

If you don't want to do that: Please count the OT threads on the first pages of all subforums and write down the result here. Afterwards explain again what problem there is with OT threads.

Thanks and good night :?

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Some OTs are very interesting, some are funny and some are annoying. I guess it's impossible to treat them all the same way escpecially because these impressions are quite subjective.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Luckily we can stop reading anytime :-)
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

SanskritFritz wrote:Luckily we can stop reading anytime :-)
Ok, I completely forgot. :wink:
No, of course, I did not, just kidding.
Lefteous wrote:I guess it's impossible to treat them all the same way escpecially because these impressions are quite subjective.
True, admitted, though I doubt anybody will enjoy childish quarrels on a personal level and consider them entertaining, except those who enjoy watching all the brain free afternoon talk shows. :wink:

Hm, anyway, perhaps we are on the brink of calling for new laws although in fact we just wish that a few "nasty boys" would behave less nasty. Very likely not feeding the troll may be the best way of handling this, because where is the fun in being "bad" if there is no audience?

Karl
The Prophet's Song
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Very likely not feeding the troll may be the best way of handling this, because where is the fun in being "bad" if there is no audience?
I agree completely with this!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!