Comments about TCmd's configuration files (INIs)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Some of you have asked why I'm using INI files. There are several reasons:
Well, so far everyone has voted for INIs so i believe you're on the right track! :) You haven't commented on the whole default.ini and user.ini proposal though. Are you considering it or you've rejected the idea?
ghisler(Author) wrote:The locations offered in the installer are not all you can define - for example, you can choose
%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Total Commander
if you want. I chose not to use "Application Data" because it's a hidden dir.
Yeah, i wonder why they did it. As if they would protect it by hiding it. From your answer, i assume though you do not intend to make the toolbars per-user (I know, it can still be done manually) so probably there is no point discussing it, right?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Christian,
You still didn't say anything about fsplugin.ini and lsplugin.ini - do you plan to reorganize it or it's a problem of plugin's authors to call the sections in any special way?

I mean, now I have saved in one file configuration of several plugins so if i want to remove (clear) configuration for some plugin I must guess which section belongs to it. Usually manual editing is the only way to clear it.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

Aezay wrote:For information on the 3 registry string TotalCmd uses, look here: Registry path to wincmd.ini.

I agree on the registry to be a bad place to save program settings, those should IMO be saved in the installation dir.

Talking so much about the registry, I can just as well make some self promo: Registry Commander.
You are the man! Thx for the Registry Commander!

I always use it to export my registry settings, it's convenient and does the right thing!
The regedit provided by the windows is buggy when exporting the ZoomPlayer's setting, it losses something.

The Registry Commander's only annoying thing is the speed, compares with regedit, every time I open the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, it takes too long time, :wink:
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

WatchUer wrote:The Registry Commander's only annoying thing is the speed, compares with regedit, every time I open the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, it takes too long time, :wink:
Its nice to hear that you like my program :)
I know, the code needs to be optimized, maybe it will be done someday, maybe not. I'm not really programming as much as I used too.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.