Cannot rename folder directly but ...

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rolandd

Cannot rename folder directly but ...

Post by *rolandd »

Hey guys,

Something strange just happened. On a local disk I tried to rename a folder and it give me an access denied error. This is on my laptop and only I use it. Upon receive the message I canceled and tried again. Same error, only this time I said to rename as administrator. Using the same name and password I use to access the computer (it has admin priviliges), I was able to rename the folder. Now it is no longer possible to reproduce this as now I can change the name without a problem.

Anything you want me to look for?

Using WinXP SP2 Dutch and TC 7.0 B2.

Regards,

RolandD
Registered user #92105
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

This may happen due to the fact, that at least one file at this folder is still in use.
(e.g. opened at an editor, a DLL used by a program or TC itself stays into this folder at the other panel)

Note : Windows even locks a DLL after the related program is closed. It will be release it with a certain delay only.

So this effect "Rename as administrator works" may be just related to the time that passed until the delay is over.
#5767 Personal license
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

This may happen due to the fact, that at least one file at this folder is still in use.
(e.g. opened at an editor, a DLL used by a program or TC itself stays into this folder at the other panel)
Ok, well it is a folder that contains archives of uninstalled programs. Though I cannot be 100% sure, I think this folder was not open in the other panel. Locked from previous access to the folder might be it.

Is there anything I should do, may this occur again? To sort of being able to pinpoint the cause.
Registered user #92105