Uneven layout of mkdir dialog

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

now

Uneven layout of mkdir dialog

Post by *now »

I may be nitpicking now, but people notice these inconsistencies and may judge Total Commander by its cover. I run into that problem all the time: "But it looks like .... No thank you, nikolai, I'm not going to use this program, even if it's a lot better than Explorer".

Here's a picture of the mkdir dialog with some comments:

http://flickr.com/photos/68553805@N00/285679873/
titanium

Post by *titanium »

I agree.

This is not a serious bug, but the dialog looks a bit ugly.

I've noticed more dialogs that badly need realignment but I'll post them on their own thread.

IMHO, although this is not a functionality bug it's still very important for the user's experience with the software.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Let me explain: This dialog is used in various places. The text field offers space for two lines of text, which is necessary for some languages. The distances to the border and to other elements cannot be made equal in all cases because of Windows themes - borders and dialog elements have different widths. The same problem exists in many other dialogs, where it's simply not possible to better align the dialog items...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
now

Post by *now »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Let me explain: This dialog is used in various places. The text field offers space for two lines of text, which is necessary for some languages.
OK, that I can live with. But as an enhancement request then, wouldn't it be possible to dynamically tell if the text requires both lines of the label above the input and "shrink" the dialog if both aren't necessary? This would add a lot of complexity to the code for sure, so it's just a thought.
ghisler(Author) wrote:The distances to the border and to other elements cannot be made equal in all cases because of Windows themes - borders and dialog elements have different widths. The same problem exists in many other dialogs, where it's simply not possible to better align the dialog items...
Hm, is this really the case? Under all themes I've run in to the borders are the same width for all UI elements. But maybe there's no guarantee that they are, so I see the problem.

Anyway, if they're aligned when theming is disabled, that's good enough for me, as that means that the elements should align if my theme has elements with equal-width borders. I haven't had time to verify that the elements align with theming disabled, though. Are they?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Should be a bit better now, although it still uses 2 lines...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
now

Post by *now »

Yes. It's better. Still alignment could be improved further, but I won't push it. Thanks!