Total Editor 0.2

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Total Editor 0.2

Post by *m^2 »

TotalEditor is an universal file editor for Total Commander, quite similar to Choise Editor, buf with support for lists. It takes a bunch of files and, due to file type, runs external editor on each of them. It supports 2 methods of running editors:
- if editor supports such a feature, you can send a list of files to one instance
- if not, it's run for each file separately (like List2Multi).

It also supports additional parameters fo each editor, written before or after the file (list).
You can use multiple configurations, I.e. you can have one for calling editors and another that sends pdfs to Foxit Reader, videos to mplayer and another files to external Lister.
Link.
History:
0.2 - [MOD] switch from .cfg to .ini config files
[ADD] when can't find specified file, TE creates it.(see --putfile=0 switch)
[ADD] %TERoot%, %TCRoot%, %TEPath% environment variables.
[ADD] *DIR* pseudo extension
[ADD] Many more per editor settings.
[FIX] Problems when run w/out files in command line

0.18 - [FIX] didn't work with uppercase letters in extensions list
[FIX] too high CPU utilization with --one-instace=1
[FIX] problems with command line longer than 32767 characters

0.17 - [ADD] --one-instance parameter

0.16 - [ADD] --no-default parameter
[ADD] --recurse-subdirs parameter

0.15 - [ADD] --just-call parameter
[FIX] some problems with --ignore-dirs

0.14 - [ADD] Added pseudo environment variable - FILES_NO, which means number af files sent to editor

0.13 - [ADD] Support for parsing single files - not only lists
- [ADD] Relative paths (starting with '\') in config path (-C)
- [ADD] Environment variables in command line
- [ADD] --ignore-dirs parameter

0.12 - [ADD] You can use environment variables, (including %COMMANDER_PATH%) in cfg file.

0.11 - [FIX] Some issues with running the same editor multiple times.

0.1 - 1st release
Last edited by m^2 on 2007-02-28, 21:03 UTC, edited 6 times in total.
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

Great program :!: :!: :!: ,   Thx.

TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

Excellent!

A gui configurator like OpenFileTC has would be nice, so that whenever I stumble upon a file type that hasn't been configured your app will give me an opportunity to pick which editor I want to use!

Otherwise, great addition to TC!
license #76904
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

The next major release will probably have gui configuration editor, but as an external tool without ability of asking on unknown file.
Maybe later I will make internal gui, but as I can't force myself even to start it, I don't promisse it will be ever done. (I find writing guis the most boring thing in whole program creation process. And guis in C are not significantly more comfortable than in asm)
byblo

Post by *byblo »

Something weird : When opening HexWorkshop with it, the window is always normal when it supposed to start maximized.
Can you see about it, or add a new parameter to choose to run a program maximized ?

Edit : Another thing : can you fix the extention detection removing case sensitive : A jpg file isn't recognized when using upperchar like JPG in detection list..
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

byblo wrote:Something weird : When opening HexWorkshop with it, the window is always normal when it supposed to start maximized.
Can you see about it, or add a new parameter to choose to run a program maximized ?
I'll download HexWorkshop and try to reproduce it.
byblo wrote:Edit : Another thing : can you fix the extention detection removing case sensitive : A jpg file isn't recognized when using upperchar like JPG in detection list..
I don't think that removing case sensitiveness is a good idea - I forgot to lower extensions case while reading config - it will be fixed in the next release. Will it be enough? Or do you need different editors for JPG and jpg?

ADDED:
HexWorkshop behaves very weirdly. Always when you run it from command line, it starts in a window mode. It saves last window position in registry, but run from command line - ignores it. I chcecked how does it work with context menu - hwext.dll starts hworks32.exe with
:INI:
command line - but it's not the parameter that matters. I don't know how does it work, but I'm almost sure that current TotalEditor can't handle this ;).
Adding run-maximized switch should help. Unfortunately current config is very badly designed - there's no quite natural way to extend it without losing bacward compatibility. I can add a command line switch that's working on all editors, but it hardly makes sence.
The next major release will have ini settings file, so things like this will be possible.
byblo

Post by *byblo »

m^2 wrote:I don't think that removing case sensitiveness is a good idea - I forgot to lower extensions case while reading config - it will be fixed in the next release. Will it be enough? Or do you need different editors for JPG and jpg?
Yes enough., Its just annoying to have to remember to add the extensions in lowercase, but it is not a big deal though. Was just a note.
m^2 wrote:ADDED:
HexWorkshop behaves very weirdly. Always when you run it from command line, it starts in a window mode. It saves last window position in registry, but run from command line - ignores it. I chcecked how does it work with context menu - hwext.dll starts hworks32.exe with
:INI:
command line - but it's not the parameter that matters. I don't know how does it work, but I'm almost sure that current TotalEditor can't handle this ;).
Adding run-maximized switch should help. Unfortunately current config is very badly designed - there's no quite natural way to extend it without losing bacward compatibility. I can add a command line switch that's working on all editors, but it hardly makes sence.
The next major release will have ini settings file, so things like this will be possible.
Thanks.

Another thought : some programs (like sprview) feeling bad sometimes and crashing with given long pathnames. Could you add a switch to convert files listed to their dos equivalent (short filename, like C:\PROGRA~1\ECT_EC~1\...) ? I'm thinking to write a little program to fix it for the sprview.exe but maybe you'll be interested to add the proposed function anyway.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Use %l instead of %L
byblo

Post by *byblo »

m^2 wrote:Use %l instead of %L
If I use it, all the files launched with your tool will be converted to dos shortname :? Nevermind, I've already wrote the tool.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

New version.
Changes:
0.18:
[FIX] didn't work with uppercase letters in extersions list
[FIX] too high CPU utilization with --one-instace=1
[FIX] problems with command line longer than 32767 characters
0.17: (wasn't published)
[ADD] --one-instance parameter (Wait for editor's exit before calling another one.)
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

0.2 alpha 3 is around.

Anybody willing to test it?

Changes:

[MOD] switch from .cfg to .ini config files (I wrote a simple converter)
[ADD] when can't find specified file, TE creates it.(see --putfile=0 switch)
[ADD] in Read.me - 6th position in installation instruction. ;)
[ADD] %TERoot%, %TCRoot%, %TEPath% environment variables.
[ADD] *DIR* pseudo extension // temporary, the 0.2 final will have an "attributes" ini parameter
[ADD] Many more per editor settings.
[FIX] Problems when run w/out files in command line

Click.
One warning: Don't delete your .cfg files, ini format may change before 0.2. cfg2ini will be updated, but I won't make ini2ini.
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

Hi, no problem with this new version.

On Read.me there is a ListFile= section but maybe it should be ListFormat= . Thanks

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

TBH, I don't know why it's ListFile :D
You're right.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

0.2 final.
Minor bug fixes, ListFile->ListFormat, TotalEditor.ini -> Editors.ini
Click
//Don't bookamark this link, it's only temporary.