Unnecessary wincmd.ini reads

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Unnecessary wincmd.ini reads

Post by *m^2 »

I was thinking about writing this for quite long. This is not only TC7. This is by design. But I can't call it otherwise than "bug".

Every time I open directory hotlist, TC reads it's contents from the ini file. It became a reason I started to use aliases - it's sometimes faster to press "->" to open command line, write 3-6 characters in it and confirm with enter than press Ctrl+D, wait for the menu and press one key. :?

TC definitely should remember contents of this menu - as it does with [Configuration] section.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I don't know how long your directory hotlist used to be, but I just made a pretty long list with 72 items - and it loads immediately (1/10 of a second or so).

Do you have slow reading of other files in general - like if you press Shift+Alt+F3 on for example your wincmd.ini file - does that take time to open too?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

174 positions, 7.6 KB.
To clean wincmd.ini I moved the biggest sections to separate files, also DirMenu, so TC has to read 2 files. To get better performance, DirMenu is the first wincmd.ini section after [Configuration] (2.2 KB). Maybe moving it higher would help, but it's a slight difference. Normally I have no problems. But when I run it on portable drive, on a computer with USB 1.1 AND I'm copying something in background - showing menu can take up to 5 seconds.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Once again m^2 its your SLOW USB Stick so why
not Upgrade to USB2 ?

And NO the reads are not unnescecary as the Menu could have been changed meanwhile....
Hoecker sie sind raus!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

174 positions, 7.6 KB.
Well, okay - thats a huge one (my test list was 1.3 kb).

But don't tell me that you can remember 174 aliases in stead ;-)

Workaround: change the directory hotlist to a user command list. It is easily done by copying the [DirMenu] section to the [user] section - it is the same syntax.

The Start menu is read from memory. But if you also have a comprehensive Start menu this isn't an option off course.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:Once again m^2 its your SLOW USB Stick so why
not Upgrade to USB2 ?
My drive is USB 2.0. But not every computer I work with supports it. My university has quite old machines. I sometimes work with a laptop that has only usb 1..just because it's owner can't afford buying a new one.
Sir_SiLvA wrote:And NO the reads are not unnescecary as the Menu could have been changed meanwhile....
As everything in configuration. But you accept that when you change wincmd.ini directly, you usually have to restart TC, why don't you with directory hotlist?
petermad wrote:
174 positions, 7.6 KB.
Well, okay - thats a huge one (my test list was 1.3 kb).

But don't tell me that you can remember 174 aliases in stead ;-)
No, only c.a. 15 :D
petermad wrote: Workaround: change the directory hotlist to a user command list. It is easily done by copying the [DirMenu] section to the [user] section - it is the same syntax.

The Start menu is read from memory. But if you also have a comprehensive Start menu this isn't an option off course.
I don't use it at all. As I said, I usually have no problems with DirMenu, only in special cases. But the Start menu is too far and there is probably no command to show it...So replacing DirMenu makes no sence. I could use them both.. But it also has some disadvantages:
- redundancy :evil:
- Extra menu branch. I have 12 already ( one is even called Start :lol: ), adding another is not the way I want to go.

And besides such tweaks: even if I found as good or even better way of doing this, it would still be a bug.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to TC 7 beta discussion forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.