"As Administrator" can be wrong outside Vista

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slavic

"As Administrator" can be wrong outside Vista

Post by *Slavic »

Recently I have run TC in Vista (a test installation), where ubiquitous "As Administrator" buttons in dialogs are an enforced thing, indeed. However, in previous systems like XP, where user is able to have the administrative rights by default, this approach is seems excessive. Adding the button(s) "As Administrator" under the messages about file system error can't resolve the situation at all, moreover, it can produce other problems.

How to reproduce:
1) We have Windows XP with FAT32, where local user has the administrative rights (by default), but "Administrator" account hasn't been created (usually it exists inside the OS, but inactive).
2) In TC go to any user's directory and note any existed file.
3) Try to create the directory with the same name as file: OS must block such attempts.
4) Note the button "As Administrator" in the dialog, press it.
5) You will be asked for user name (left it as is) and password (empty).
6) Error executing program! "...\tcmadmin.exe" ...

As a result, instead of clear explanation that a directory and file with the same name cannot exist in the same place because of OS restriction, user becomes mislead. The similar situation can occur in the case of hardware error (attempt to write on the damaged CD or flash card), when user's account has no meaning.

Suggestion: check the OS version, user rights and don't show "administrator" button in Windows 9x and in 2000/XP, at least on systems on FAT/FAT32, where user rights are not applicable.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

However, in previous systems like XP, where user is able to have the administrative rights by default, this approach is seems excessive.
I disagree. I'm working on Windows 2000, and use the button very often. I'm working as a restricted user, and use it to copy files from/to forbidden directories. At first, I showed the button only for non-admin accounts, but I was asked to add it only for admins.

Why? There are multiple situations where even admins can use it:
1. To access directories belonging to users of different computers in a domain, where the local admin has no rights.
2. To access files where the rights are limited to a certain user.

The button isn't shown on Win9x, where it makes no sense. But I don't want to remove it from Windows 2000/XP, where it is indeed very useful!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

OK, Christian, I agree with your explanation in principle, but not in all details. Well, I'll try to reformulate my opinion about "As Administrator".

This option is necessary or could be helpful for:
1. Windows Vista (in all cases).
2. Windows 2000/XP in domain or standalone with local file access policy on NTFS media.

This option is unnecessary or can't be helpful for:
1. Windows 9x.
2. Windows 2000/XP in workgroup or standalone without local policy on FAT/FAT32 media.
3. Hardware failures or basic restrictions, which cannot be solved with any user rights.

Case 1 is already implemented in TC, and I would like that you pay attention on other two. Of course, I know that FAT32 becomes gradually obsolete (remaining on the portable media), but the case 3 is actual as ever.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2. Unfortunately the retrieval of the used file system isn't reliable. For example, Samba drives report themselves as NTFS.
3. It's also not always possible to distinguish such errors (with access denied) from errors with access rights. If the user doesn't have the access rights for a file, he often doesn't have the right to read the file's access rights either. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com