Keyboard Multiple File Selection Not Working Properly

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

how did you make that little video?
Easy. just get yourself the free CamStudio and save the recorded video as 'Microsoft Video 1' ('Options'->'Video options')

Please compress the resulting video as it may get quite big depending on length and dimensions. BTW you can get awesome compression ratios for such videos using the sqx format provided by this excellent TC plugin.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2icfu
Thx for explanation!

2DudeBoyz
Thx for the screenshots!

Well but if you just don't press SPACE first before SHIFT+CURSOR UPping to spread the selection, the file with the cursor on it IS selected, right?
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

StickyNomad wrote:2icfu
Well but if you just don't press SPACE first before SHIFT+CURSOR UPping to spread the selection, the file with the cursor on it IS selected, right?
It seems to stay selected if I do not press space first.

I do notice still odd behavior if I first go one direction and then another with the SHIFT held down.

I hope you can replicate it.

I have downloaded that utility and will try to make a video to show what I mean.

Thanks

EDIT: I made a little video showing what I'm talking about:

http://www.pdscomputing.com/files/vidcap01.zip

That is when I select the item, press and hold the SHIFT key, move the cursor up and then down.
Last edited by DudeBoyz on 2006-11-07, 23:14 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I do notice still odd behavior if I first go one direction and then another with the SHIFT held down.
Well, the selection is inverted when you Shift-go over the files.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2DudeBoyz
hat is when I select the item, press and hold the SHIFT key, move the cursor up and then down.
But Why do you select the item first? When you press Shitt+arrow you also do a selection - so because the file is already selected (by pressing spacebar) it now gets deselected.

Behaviour:
A. Press Spacebar: selects unseleted file or deselects selected file - stays on the file.
B. Press Insert: selects unseleted file or deselects selected file AND moves one file down.
C. Press Shift+Up: selects unseleted file or deselects selected file AND moves one file up.
D: Press Shift+Down: same as pressing Insert.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

It will take some adjusting to get used to the behavior, as it is different than Windows standard. Even selecting in Excel or Word or even this text box, when I select something, then hold SHIFT and use the up/down arrows, the selected item is included in the selection, and is the default "anchor" so that whether I go up or down when holding the shift key, it remains at the edge of the selection.

There does still seem to be an issue regarding how selections are handled when I change selection direction. The video clip should show what I'm talking about.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

when I select something, then hold SHIFT and use the up/down arrows, the selected item is included in the selection, and is the default "anchor"
Just DON'T select it first, then it is still your anchor, and don't REGRET the direction, because going back over the "anchor" deselects it for sure.
There does still seem to be an issue regarding how selections are handled when I change selection direction
Well, it is totally consistant, what is selected gets deselected and vice versa.

Maybe it will be easier for you to get used to if you change your color setup to:

DO "Use inverted cursor"
NOT "Use inverted selection"

and set you Mark color to for example red:

Wincmd.ini:
[Colors]
InverseCursor=1
BackColor=16777215
ForeColor=0
MarkColor=255
CursorColor=8388608
CursorText=16777215
InverseSelection=0
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

On one side, I feel like "Why can't it just work like every other windows program works?" but on the other I feel like "Well, it does offer stuff that others don't, so maybe making a change will be worth it."

Total Commander is the closest to what I am looking for that I have found, so I'll just keep on pluggin' along with the Beta and see what happens.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

2DudeBoyz
[OT]
From your screenshots i saw you are recording tv to your computer. What hw/sw are you using?
being this is way OT this forum, use email button if you are willing to answer
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

solid wrote:2DudeBoyz
[OT]
From your screenshots i saw you are recording tv to your computer. What hw/sw are you using?
being this is way OT this forum, use email button if you are willing to answer
Someone earlier told me about this free Open Source program:

http://www.camstudio.org/

I just recorded it directly from my screen at a 50% quality setting to save space. Works well enough. :)
DudeBoyz

Post by *DudeBoyz »

petermad wrote:Maybe it will be easier for you to get used to if you change your color setup to:

DO "Use inverted cursor"
NOT "Use inverted selection"

and set you Mark color to for example red:
I set it up as you indicated and made another video:

http://www.pdscomputing.com/files/vidcap02.zip

So I clicked on the window to activate it and then used the keyboard. I did not press SPACEBAR to select the item first.

I held down the SHIFT key and simply used the up and down arrows.

It seems that it still leaves the top item selected when I start going back down, which is not consistent with normal windows selection actions, so that is somewhat confusing still.

Anyway, hopefully the video will sort of demonstrate what it does.

I had expected that the SLEEPY HOLLOW item would stay selected, as it is the original "anchor" item, if you will. Then I would expect the top DUNE item to be unselected when I start going back down, and conversely the VIDEO_TS item to be unselected when I moved back up.

Here is a video of what I would EXPECT it to work like, based upon the standard Windows conventions:

http://www.pdscomputing.com/files/vidcap03.zip

I hope that adequately shows the comparison.

Thanks for your patience.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

It has been mentioned a dozen times meanwhile that Shift+CursorUp/Down always does the same:
1. It INVERTS the selection state of the file which is under the cursor
2. It then moves UP resp. DOWN

You have to release the shift button at the turning point for ONE Up/Down press, I have already explained that in the 1st posting of this thread:
Only the entry where the cursor is located is marked/unmarked. So, when you switch direction from up to down while marking, you have to release Shift one time to not get a file marked at the turning point.
Icfu
This account is for sale
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

DudeBoyz' review for TC 7 on betanews.com:
DudeBoyz wrote:[...] Total Commander is not really for n00bs, either. In fact, the supporters on their forums can be pretty freakin' fanatical - like Linux supporters - and they can attack you for even questioning the awesomeness of the program. Not so good a thing to have if you want to attract a wider audience.

[...] I think this thing should be priced more along the lines of $19.95 to make it a better value.
DudeBoyz' review for TC 6.55 on betanews.com:
DudeBoyz wrote:Not bad at all, but I do prefer Powerdesk 6.

I also kinda wish it was $29 instead of $34, but that's a minor nibble.

It is a good app overall and worth the money and it's not nearly as complex to setup as DirectoryOpus.
TC 8 will be free then, right? ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Stevie1

Post by *Stevie1 »

hahah, icfu, congrats to your good nerves! :)