wiacam - support of PTP (WIA) digital cameras

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Begemot

wiacam - support of PTP (WIA) digital cameras

Post by *Begemot »

I prepared file system plugin that adds support of PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) enabled digital cameras, which represented in Windows as WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) devices. It allows to list/delete/download files from camera.

Most of cameras, which produced in last 2-3, years allows two ways to access from PC: 1. as Mass Storage or 2. as PTP device. To work with this plugin camera should be switched to PTP mode.

Fill free to contact with me in case of any suggestions, problems, questions...

Download: http://cern.ch/begemot
ottodostal

Post by *ottodostal »

Thank you very much. I have s6500fd which doesn't support Mass Storage and this helps.

I would still like to have more of those Mass Storage fuctionality. If it could be possible to browse the pictures using xnview directly on the camera, for example.

Any more changes which would make it feel like a true mass storage would ba great.
Vredny

Post by *Vredny »

There is a problem with WIACam when a pair of files with the same name and different extensions exists (i.e. jpeg and raw images).
You won't be able to download one of them - downloading actually starts, but ends with an error.
dedyle

Post by *dedyle »

Has anyone tried Wiacam on Vista?
Previously I worked with Wiacam on XP and it worked very well with my Canon camera.
However on another machine with Vista (32bit) I can see the image files on the camera but unable to download/open any file from the camera.

Any idea how to fix this?
kris

Post by *kris »

Confirm.
I think, in Vista calls functions in svchost was changed.

It will be sources of plugin or author rewrite plugin, then this problem resolved...
dedyle

Post by *dedyle »

Hi Begemot,

Any chance you are planning new version which is compatible with Vista?

Thanks,
Dedy.
E.T.

Different file sizes

Post by *E.T. »

I just found a strange bug when using the plugin with Nikon D700: the files in the camera have different sizes with the ones previously copied to the hard drive. Furthermore, after files were copied using the plugin they still have different sizes with previously saved ones. Property tab shows the same space occupied on disk but different size. The strangest thing is that both files seem to open fine with respective software.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Henrie

Post by *Henrie »

Maybe the exif and/or iptc info of one of the files has been changed/removed? Causing a different filesize.
E.T.

Post by *E.T. »

No, doesn't look like it: EXIF is still there, and IPTC was empty in the original files. And, why would it remove such information from RAW (NEF) files? The plug-in doesn't even support preview of NEF files. Strange...
MossMan

Post by *MossMan »

I was searching high and low for a solution for my Fuji 6500 a couple of years ago... this was a godsend!

I hate the default Windows method:

- no "normal" file information (date/time etc.) when viewing on the camera

- file copying does not proceed in a normal manner (current date and time are given to the files on the PC, "move" doesn't work normally, uploading to the camera isn't possible, files are sometimes still listed after being deleted from the camera, etc.)

So to me, this plugin should be the *default* TotalCommander way of handling such cameras.

But unfortunately, I haven't been able to use it since I got a new PC with Windows 7. I can view the files on the camera but it refuses to download them! :(

Please let me know if it's possible to change a setting somewhere... otherwise please update the plugin! :)
Mikitc

WIACAM - NEF and JPG files together problem

Post by *Mikitc »

Hi,

I wanted to use Your TC plugin for WIA(don't have mass storage transfer type) , but it crashes if You have two files with the same Name but different Extension. It lists all files, but doesn't want to copy NEF - Nikon RAW format files.
I have for example files on card in Camera:
DSC0001.JPG
DSC0001.NEF
DSC0002.JPG
DSC0002.NEF
and so on. The plugin copies only JPGs and shows error on all selected NEF files.
Please allow copy for all the listed files by WIA plugin correctly. I can't download RAW files from camera due to this problem. If You don't want correct this - please share the source of plugin for correction.

Kind Regards,
Mikitc
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Hi Mikitc,

I've never been able to get WIACam working under Win 7, although it worked fine under XP. Try Ghisler's MediaAudio2 plugin, I use it successfully for transferring images from a Canon camera. My camera has no RAW images though, so I cannot predict if those would be properly handled.

Regards, EricB
Regards, EricB
Mikitc

Post by *Mikitc »

I used WIA on XP. The Media Audio2 doesn't work at all (no files listed).
EricB

Post by *EricB »

MediaAudio2 has some requirements, IIRC Windows Media Player 11 or 12, or at least its libraries. Probably your system does not meet the requirement?

You can use the command cm_opendesktop on TC command line, to open 'special' folders. No doubt your camera also has an entry there, so you can at least download the material you need. It is not as versatile as a plugin (it uses Explorer copy method) but at least viable as a workaround

Regards, EricB
Mikitc

Post by *Mikitc »

Doesn't work either (no special/hidden folder for Camera) - it shows only desktop folders on XP. The camera is fully visible and all content can be copied there unmodified, but under XP NEF causes error on TC. I don't want to install any transfer software becouse grabbed files has touched date and names by this software. I want only "USB mass storage simulation" over WIA/PTP protocol on XP.