[REQ] FTP auto reconnection

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lars Blaabjerg

[REQ] FTP auto reconnection

Post by *Lars Blaabjerg »

I use FTP a lot, usually many times of shorter duration. The server I must use has a very short timeout which is annoying in itself.

Problem is:
I select some files to copy, press F5 to upload. If connection has timed out it pops up an error box stating "Transfer failed, continue operation?" if I answer "yes" to this the operation it will proceed to the next file and pop up the same dialog until there are no more files or I select "No". Only after this can i attempt to reconnect. I find this behavior incredibly annoying.

Edit: None of the keep connection alive work in my case.

Suggestion:
Tcmd should ask to reconnect when the transfer is initiated, and there should be a "Always reconnect automatically for this connection" checkbox in the connection dialog. This should also be as an option in the ftp setup dialog. If this option is checked it should do all reconnection automatically and silently in the background.

I realize the issue has been posted about a number of times, but I have yet to find somebody to describe the problem in the way I experience it, maybe my ftp server behaves differently than others (commercial web hotel).

Thanks

Lars

BTW: Incredible program you have made here Ghisler, it is without comparison the most useful program on my computer.
kaffe

Post by *kaffe »

I must chime in on this one, it is annoying that the reconnect question pops up after the last attempted transfer.

Especially when you have made a selection of files to be transferred and the transfer fails due to the aforementioned issue, then you have to re-select all the files again (this is the desired function normally of course, but here it adds to the muttering behind the keyboard :) )
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Maybe this is already answered by the author in this thread (regarding automatic reconnect).
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!