TC7rc4 - Compare By Content, Editing and status bar

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

TC7rc4 - Compare By Content, Editing and status bar

Post by *white »

When you edit a file in the Compare by contents dialog, the status bar is not adjusted. It keeps showing the same number of differences, when this is no longer true.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is by design. The status bar always shows the results of the last comparison (or recomparison).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

white wrote:When you edit a file in the Compare by contents dialog, the status bar is not adjusted. It keeps showing the same number of differences, when this is no longer true.
ghisler(Author) wrote:This is by design. The status bar always shows the results of the last comparison (or recomparison).
Wow, that is brave! That goes against the whole concept of the status bar.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm sorry but it's just not feasible to re-scan the entire file for the number of differences on each press of a key. This would slow down editing to 1 character per second or so. No one wants this...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I'm sorry but it's just not feasible to re-scan the entire file for the number of differences on each press of a key. This would slow down editing to 1 character per second or so. No one wants this...
I am not asking that. I am only asking not to display outdated information in the status bar. You could use the status bar for relevant information. For example you could display "Edit mode", or when the user makes a selection you could display the number of selected lines, etc...
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

white wrote:I am only asking not to display outdated information in the status bar. You could use the status bar for relevant information. For example you could display "Edit mode"
Don't you mind anymore, how many differences you have to check after changing one line in edit mode?
I would consider this information still useful, so I think it should not be removed from the status line.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

StatusQuo wrote: Don't you mind anymore, how many differences you have to check after changing one line in edit mode?
Not really, no. If you want to keep track on how many differences you still have to check, you yourself have to keep track of how many differences you already have checked. If you do that, you will most likely also know the total of differences without it being displayed in the status bar.

Personally I wouldn't go to the trouble of remembering how many differences I had checked already. I would simply hit Alt-N to go to the next difference until the end of file is reached.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I prefer to see the result of the last comparison permanently. I neither want to remember that number nor count myself nor adhere to any editing standards (always from top to the bottom with Alt+N).

Of course, I am in favour of displaying additional information (selected lines, etc...) and it would also be very interesting to have an INTELLIGENT realtime update, i.e. TC would remember what section is being edited and only would recompare this one on demand.

Anyway, that's probably out of scope for TC.

Icfu
This account is for sale
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

I still think it has no place in the status bar. Suppose it was showing the total number of lines of the left and right file during the last compare. Would you have the same opinion?

Maybe statistics about the last compare good be presented in a report which could be shown on demand or presented on a separate section on the compare dialog.

It might also be a good idea to automatically recompare after saving a file. See this suggestion.

For the record. To have the real number of differences shown at all times, one only needs to examen the previous, current and next line.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

white wrote:Suppose it was showing the total number of lines of the left and right file during the last compare. Would you have the same opinion?
Me probably not.
But the number of differences in contrast shows the amount of work you have to go through while checking all differences.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!