listbox versus listview

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Which control is faster?

TC listbox control is clearly faster
36%
TC listbox control feels faster
5%
No difference
23%
Explorer listview control feels faster
23%
Explorer listview is clearly faster
14%

Total votes: 22

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I'm curious how long it takes to populate the listbox on your computer
0.109 sec, smoth scrolling. (3.0 GHz Pentium4, onboard Intel Express Chipset, Win XP Sp2)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I have never seen anything like that before
Neither have I. (Not to underestimate icfu, but perhaps graphics card driver update needed?)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

Hacker wrote:
Neither have I. (Not to underestimate icfu, but perhaps graphics card driver update needed?)
Let's not underestimate the power of TC flickering. It is there, it's annoying and recently is considered a feature to signal [something] to the user.
TC for Linux please!
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Hacker wrote:

Roman
I have the newest ones.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

roentgen,
Let's not underestimate the power of TC flickering. It is there, it's annoying and recently is considered a feature to signal [something] to the user.
Hm, there should have been a smiley there. Or do you mean it seriously?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

Hacker wrote:roentgen,
Hm, there should have been a smiley there. Or do you mean it seriously?
I can't get more serious than that :wink:.
TC for Linux please!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

What exactly is so difficult to understand about that vid?

It has been done, like mentioned above, on the testbox with PII with custom columns activated. You can see TC repainting the file panel after each PageDown.

If you have "never seen anything like that before", you haven't created enough files. What you should *at least* see is the flickering as this is available in Lefteous' demo as well...

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
ustom columns activated
Mh you have never wrote something about custom columns :?:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Custom columns view is even slower than the standardview, so you don't need that much files to reproduce. Besides that there is no difference.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
Custom columns view is even slower than the standardview, so you don't need that much files to reproduce. Besides that there is no difference.
OK it's just when making such tests I'm trying to eliminate such possible side-effects.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

icfu wrote:What exactly is so difficult to understand about that vid?

It has been done, like mentioned above, on the testbox with PII with custom columns activated. You can see TC repainting the file panel after each PageDown.

If you have "never seen anything like that before", you haven't created enough files. What you should *at least* see is the flickering as this is available in Lefteous' demo as well...

Icfu
My video is not P2 but PD @c.a. 2.8 and it happens with system32 dir which has <3000 files here...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

OK, I just tested using Altap Salamander and TC 7 in a dir with 30000 files and Altap Salamander indeed scrolls faster and without visible repainting.

Roman
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

Something I have noticed while testing the Vista OS: when browsing to the %windir%\winsxs\ dir in Vista (containing 5150 dirs) with TC or explorer the display of the contents is almost instant.

Browsing the same dir from within XP: TC needed ~2secs while explorer froze for about 5 secs and needed 10 secs overall to fully become functional.

I have made multiple tests.
TC for Linux please!