Request: Specify where buttonbar wraps

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Request: Specify where buttonbar wraps

Post by *JohnFredC »

I searched old posts but couldn't find this request.

It would be good to have a symbol to place in the "Change Button Bar" dialog that would cause the button bar to wrap to a new line after the symbol.

This would cause the button bar to have two or more "regions" and look like it was actually two or more separate bars. Here is an example (14k gif) of one split causing "two" bars.

http://www.jfcinc.net/Interfaces/tcmenusplit.gif

This seems a "low-tech" enhancement to the button bar that would offer big benefits for us mouse-centrics.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Support for that...and a possibility to split menu as well. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You do know that the button bar auto-wraps when it becomes too wide?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

You do know that the button bar auto-wraps when it becomes too wide?
Hi Christian, and Yes... and that's the problem! My TC window size changes based on what I am doing, so the button bar wraps arbitrarily at different places during the day, causing some of the buttons at the end of the bar to be at different places at different times. When thinking about that issue today, it occurred to me that a forced wrap could make the button bar behave like two (or three).

I would use one wrap control (giving two "bars") and populate the top "bar" with internal TC commmands related to file management, the bottom "bar" with external commands.

Maybe just putting two empty "buttons" side-by-side in the bar design could trigger the wrap (instead of placing two divider images in the bar)?
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

JohnFredC wrote:My TC window size changes based on what I am doing, so the button bar wraps arbitrarily at different places during the day, causing some of the buttons at the end of the bar to be at different places at different times. When thinking about that issue today, it occurred to me that a forced wrap could make the button bar behave like two (or three).

I would use one wrap control (giving two "bars") and populate the top "bar" with internal TC commmands related to file management, the bottom "bar" with external commands.
JohnFredC, thank you for the perfect description! :) That's exactly what I'm looking for.

@ghisler(Author): Christian, please give a short (positive :wink: ) comment about this request.
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Support+. It's good for:
- portability. I never assume that I will run any specific resolution.
- custom installations ( or "packs" )
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander 7.5 will support both a user-defined line break in the bar (command: -2) and an unlimited number of lines! It's already implemented.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2ghisler(Author)
Great news, thank you!
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

@ghisler(Author): :D Thanks!
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2ghisler(Author)
What about right buttons alignment? Is there a chance to implement this too?

It has been requested here.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Being able to wrap the button bar is fine. It finally allows multiple independent lines. However it doesn't solve the problem that TC currently auto-wraps the lines when the window becomes to small to show all buttons in just one line as JohnFredC described. What can we do about this? My idea would be a drop-down at the end of each line which shows all buttons which don't fit. Here is an example from another application which uses this approach:
http://www.lefteous.de/tc/beta_7.5/buttonbar_wrap.png
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Lefteous
My idea would be a drop-down at the end of each line which shows all buttons which don't fit.
Yes, very good idea! This would be a nice way to have all buttons available even when switching to a small window size or a small resolution, e.g. when operating in Win's safe mode. This behaviour is common practice in quite some programs.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

StickyNomad wrote:2Lefteous
My idea would be a drop-down at the end of each line which shows all buttons which don't fit.
Yes, very good idea! This would be a nice way to have all buttons available even when switching to a small window size or a small resolution, e.g. when operating in Win's safe mode. This behaviour is common practice in quite some programs.
Agree.
Clo

Or scroll

Post by *Clo »

2Lefteous

:) Hello Christian !
My idea would be a drop-down at the end of each line…
• We have it in XnView, but the icons are shown as their normal size (not reduced like on your pic).

• A couple of small scroll buttons could do the trick too, personally I would like that as well…
- I mean : scroll the visible portion of the bar < Bw ¦ Fw > in order to see all icons…

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Lefteous,
My idea would be a drop-down at the end of each line which shows all buttons which don't fit. Here is an example from another application which uses this approach:
http://www.lefteous.de/tc/beta_7.5/buttonbar_wrap.png
What if there is not enough vertical space?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.