File under cursor on inactive panel

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

File under cursor on inactive panel

Post by *DrShark »

Now TC show cursor on file only when panel is active.
Cursor on inactive always panel hidden.
I suggest to allocate file under cursor on it in some way.
For example, it may have column color negative to current.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Displaying a cursor in the inactive panel was already requested. See here: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=91238#91238.

Unfortunately this hasn't been implemented yet. I still strongly hope such an inactive cursor will be available some time...
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Support, if configurable.
In the active panel I use an inverted cursor, so for the inactive panel showing it simply un-inverted could be nice.

Would be useful for commands that use %M.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2StatusQuo
In the active panel I use an inverted cursor, so for the inactive panel showing it simply un-inverted could be nice.
I too use an inverted cursor, and this would be a nice solution in that case. For us inverted cursor users, this would be a great solution, so: support.

But if one uses a non-inverted cursor and the same logic would be applied in that case (inverted cursor is shown in the inactive panel), the inactive cursor would look way more dominant than the active one, which could be a bit confusing.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2StickyNomad
Agree, although I'd have a similar problem with the initial idea:
DrShark wrote:For example, it may have column color negative to current.
A configurable colour would be nicer here, IMO.
Perfect, if optionally/alternatively combined with a non-inverted cursor (although this would probably mean two seperate options).
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

Mr. Ghisler, I just want to know whether the feather request(displaying a cursor in the inactive panel) will be in the todo list or not?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

For now it's no longer on my to do list. The risk is just too high to mistake the inactive window for the active one when there is a cursor in both, with possible fatal error when deleting files...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ghisler(Author) wrote:For now it's no longer on my to do list. The risk is just too high to mistake the inactive window for the active one when there is a cursor in both, with possible fatal error when deleting files...
:(

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

:( indeed.

2ghisler(Author)
What about having some kind of a very very unobtrousive indication of the cursored file in the inactive panel then, e.g. by showing the filename underlined and nothing else?

This way only one cursor would be visible, but you could still see which file has the cursor in the inactive panel currently.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

StickyNomad wrote:What about having some kind of a very very unobtrousive indication of the cursored file in the inactive panel ... ?
Support... But I have no idea here. Underlined filename? Maybe... Or column color (like I suggested before...)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

There would be no chance for confusion if the panels would have a distinct visual indicator which one is active and which is not.

In Directory Opus the active panel title bar is painted green while the inactive one is painted red. This signal is much better than what TC has to offer, which is to only dim the inactive panel title bar.

xplorer2, in opposite to TC, dims the complete panel. A small difference in brightness in TC would already allow to distinguish active from inactive with no problems.

You could also make the active panel font bolder or think about other options, but rejecting inactive cursor because of limitations in TC GUI is just sad.

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2008-03-10, 19:24 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
Clo

And more…

Post by *Clo »

2StickyNomad

:) Hello !

• I agree, it could be too faded, pale-greyed, the underlining as red or¦and dashed, something like THIS,
or any combination in the same painting, quite secure, I guess.

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

For now it's no longer on my to do list. The risk is just too high to mistake the inactive window for the active one when there is a cursor in both, with possible fatal error when deleting files...
This is what happens now, after 5 years of using TC. It is what people try to avoid with the current implementation.
TC for Linux please!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I think the main problem is still the question how an inactive cursor would look like if the user uses the default non-inverted cursor.

What about dropping the non-inverted cursor?
Clo

Since 3.1

Post by *Clo »

2icfu

:) Hi Jeff !
In Directory Opus the active panel title bar is painted green while the inactive one is painted red…
• Here too, since Win 3.1 …
But indeed, that looks too colorful for the fans of black_blue_white_grey made in M$…
- It's a Win setting, easy to change within a few minutes…

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials