BUG: TC 7.02a going "poof" upon right-click

This forum contains bug reports from previous beta tests - the issue has remained unresolved, either because it couldn't be reproduced, or couldn't be prevented/fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Not so old…

Post by *m^2 »

ibauer wrote:
Clo wrote:But I've only 512 MiB RAM
Ouch! :shock:
Hey, that's not so bad.. 256 is enough for XP if you don't use too big things like Firefox. I see absolutely no problem with 512.
I run a tweaked XP on a virtual machine with 32 MB..and it's smooth, windows w/out progs takes<23. Actually I'm considering removing anaother few megs.
ibauer

Post by *ibauer »

m^2 wrote:256 is enough for XP if you don't use too big things like Firefox. I see absolutely no problem with 512.
Well, it all depends on the purpose the PC serves you for. While 512MB might be enough for browsing the internet, for other purposes it definitely is way below the bar. All is relative.
m^2 wrote:I run a tweaked XP on a virtual machine with 32 MB..and it's smooth, windows w/out progs takes<23. Actually I'm considering removing anaother few megs.
I don't really intend to sound harsh, but you must be kidding, right?
Ivo Bauer
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

ibauer wrote:
m^2 wrote:256 is enough for XP if you don't use too big things like Firefox. I see absolutely no problem with 512.
Well, it all depends on the purpose the PC serves you for. While 512MB might be enough for browsing the internet, for other purposes it definitely is way below the bar. All is relative.
Yes, some people need more, but I think that for 95% of users, 512 should be enough for anything they want to do, granted they choose lightweight software.
ibauer wrote:
m^2 wrote:I run a tweaked XP on a virtual machine with 32 MB..and it's smooth, windows w/out progs takes<23. Actually I'm considering removing anaother few megs.
I don't really intend to sound harsh, but you must be kidding, right?
Nope. Actually my memory doesn't serve me well, it's <22 MB.
Click
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Just for your info, my main development system (and every day work machine) is a Pentium 3 with 866 MHz and 512 MB RAM running Windows 2000, and I have no problems with speed! I keep this to ensure that functions which seem to be fast for me are also fast for other Total Commander users (who usually have much faster computers now).

About the ClearType problem: That's really strange indeed. Maybe it's caused by accented characters which do not exist in the internal English language. You can try to verify that by using the external wcmd_eng.lng file from here:
http://ghisler.fileburst.com/languages/wcmd_eng.zip

Does it crash with this one too?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ibauer

Post by *ibauer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:About the ClearType problem: That's really strange indeed. Maybe it's caused by accented characters which do not exist in the internal English language. You can try to verify that by using the external wcmd_eng.lng file from here:
http://ghisler.fileburst.com/languages/wcmd_eng.zip

Does it crash with this one too?
Yes, I've just tested it and TC crashes with that one as well. Do you have an idea what could be causing this behavior? Graphics board drivers? Anything else? I've tried even disabling the hardware acceleration for the graphics board, but it did not help at all.

Thank you for your effort.
Ivo Bauer
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do you have an idea what could be causing this behavior?
No, unfortunately I have no idea at all, sorry. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ibauer

Post by *ibauer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:No, unfortunately I have no idea at all, sorry. :(
No problem, Christian. I disabled the font smoothing on my machine and I can happily use TC now. I came to conclusion that this issue is somehow related to my machine. Oh, well.

Thanks to all who participated in this thread.
Ivo Bauer
jvh

Post by *jvh »

I still can't reproduce this behavior at all on
single core Athlon 64 / 3 GB RAM / GeForce 7600 GT / ForceWare 169.21 and
single core Athlon 64 / 2 GB RAM / GeForce 6600 GT / ForceWare 163.75

Can you try this? (but I have no idea what's wrong) :(
- another graphic drivers
- different screen resolution/color depth
- disable security software for a while
- standard mouse driver
- another Font Smoothing Mode

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
Name: FontSmoothingType
Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value: (0 = disabled, 1 = standard, 2 = ClearType)

with FontSmoothing enabled
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
Name: FontSmoothing
Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value: (0 = disabled, 2 = enabled)
ibauer

Post by *ibauer »

jvh wrote:Can you try this? (but I have no idea what's wrong) :(
- standard mouse driver
Wow, you have made my day!! I had tried everything you suggested, but nothing helped...until...I uninstalled Microsoft IntelliPoint version 6.2 from my machine and TC suddenly started to operate properly with font smoothing set to ClearType. I have done some tests with different resolutions, color depths and it just works. What a relief! Reinstalling IntelliPoint back makes the issue to reappear, so the IntelliPoint software is most definitely the one to be blamed.

Can anyone who is using the latest version of MS IntelliPoint (v6.2) in conjunction with ClearType font smoothing reproduce this issue?

Thank you so much, jvh!
Ivo Bauer
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Nope, I used both and got no problems.