Access violation when trying to copy shared folder in MS VPC

This forum contains bug reports from previous beta tests - the issue has remained unresolved, either because it couldn't be reproduced, or couldn't be prevented/fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jdorsay

Access violation when trying to copy shared folder in MS VPC

Post by *jdorsay »

Got this error message from TC 7.03:

Access violation at address 7c911669. Read of address 3b.

Attempted to continue, got same access violation but read of address 0.

Was running in XP Pro 32 SP3 vpc using MS Virtual PC 2007

Host OS is also XP Pro 32 SP3.

After second access violation, mouse cursor shows busy when over either file list pane, otherwise shows idle. Got tired of waiting and killed process when busy cursor persisted for more than 5 minutes.

Was attempting to copy a folder from the root of a "Shared Folder" mapped to drive z: in the vm using the "F5 Copy" button.

Source directory is about 7 MB, 750 files, 60 nested subdirectories.

Copy works fine if I drag and drop with Windows Explorer. Drag and drop also works when I tried in TC.

However, after copying 4 directories from the shared folder root using drag and drop in TC, I received the same access violation when I attempted to copy a 5th folder. I successfully copied about 30 MB, 2000 files, 225 nested subdirectories before the exception occurred.

I was attempting to copy 350k, 12 files, 19 nested directories using drag and drop in TC when the same error message appeared. I restarted TC and copied the directory (using drag and drop) without problems.

I restarted TC and attempted to copy the first source directory (750 files etc) using the "F5 Copy" button, and TC closed without warning. The window disappeared, and TC vanished from the process list.

Restarted TC and successfully copied the last source directory (12 files etc) using "F5 Copy" without problem, then also copied the first source directory using "F5 Copy".

John
Last edited by jdorsay on 2008-07-17, 19:48 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

To my knowledge, ReadFile and WriteFile are not supported in shared folders. Try using compatibility mode for drive Z: by setting it in Configuration - Options - Copy/Delete.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jdorsay

Post by *jdorsay »

Made the change to compatibility mode.

Different exception this time.

It seemed to be working fine, progress bar indicates about 25% complete, then

Exception EAccessViolation in module totalcmd.exe at 7c51043d
Access violation at same address as original report, attempt to read 0.

Rebooted the vm, this time no files copied.

Access violation at 7C91166b, read of address 4.

John
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, can't help you then. Apparently not even CopyFileEx is supported by VPC. I wonder how Explorer copies the data...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

2jdorsay: Just a hit in the dark: Maybe the reserved disk space for your VM is less than needed ?
#5767 Personal license