Folder size calculation when it contains junction

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Folder size calculation when it contains junction

Post by *MVV »

Hi to all, I want to introduce one little bug.

For example, I have a folder C:\tmp with subfolder C:\tmp\1 (lets say it's size is 1 MB) and it's junction as C:\tmp\2. When I try to calculate size of folder C:\tmp, TC says 2 MB while Windows Explorer says 1 MB. Mismatch.

Go on, make a junction to C:\tmp\1 as C:\tmp\1\1 (i.e. folder link inside this folder). Windows says folder size is 1 MB... But TC says... about 40-50 MB!!! (I think, later calculation is impossible because of long path)

So I think TC shouldn't calculate size of a junction (as Windows Explorer).

I.e. if a folder has inside only junctions to other folders, Windows says it has size 0 B. But in folder tree Windows tries to open infinity loop of junctions... :lol:

Copying such symbolic link also buggy - TC copies it with all of it's infinity subfolders. (but it is my buggy fault :))
BTW, it isn't hard to check if a junction points to upfolder and make its analog. (but is it really what we need?)
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Well, I don't call this a bug, but expected behaviour !

You told TC to count the bytes, an he did it.
Please copy C:\tmp to another drive and come back with the number of bytes copied ;)

Don't call Windows Explorer to be right. All MS OS prior to Vista cannot handle junctions correctly: Deleting a junction using Windows Explorer will delete the content too (TC removes the junction entry only)
#5767 Personal license
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

While copying it is ambiguous what it is better. Possibly it is better to copy junction. But at this case I agree with Windows - junction is a link but not a folder. So, it's size it is better not to calculate. At this place Windows do the thing because this action is not default for usual folders.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

It really depends on the concrete task which leads the user to find out the size of a directory. In all cases it's important to know if the directory is actually a junction. In your example Explorer displays another value but not 0 which means the junction must be in a subdirectory of the directory.

My DirSizeCalc plugin can be used to calculate
- the directory size including the size of all contained junctions
- the directory size excluding the size of junctions in subdirectories
- the directory size for normal directories, never calculate size for junctions
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=150981#150981

The bundled configuration tool can be used to configure the field as required.
norfie²
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie² »

So, it's size it is better not to calculate.
No, it's not. It depends on what you want to do with specific datas.

How complicated this issue is really shows a tool of the german magazin c't ctts.exe
Links to German articles
http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/08/01/180/
http://www.heise.de/ct/faq/hotline/08/04/12.shtml
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It is ambiguous question to do or not to do...

Eh... Now I think that really it is better to calculate dir size with junctions as subfolders. Because so we can use two different methods - by TC and by Explorer. Because we know the difference! :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed TC is counting with the junctions here because they would be copied too when you press F5 instead of counting.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com