StegoTC - unique freeware TC Steganographic wcx plugin!!!

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

CG!

Post by *CG! »

Uhhh... forgot to mention that Norton fixed this problem with their last update and not all McAffee scanners complain.
The german Version from the Computer Bild magazin DVD doesn't show any warning. The version you can download does.
Strange, but i told the people with problems how to uncrunch the file to get rid of this warning.
alexanderwdark

Post by *alexanderwdark »

CG! wrote:Uhhh... forgot to mention that Norton fixed this problem with their last update and not all McAffee scanners complain.
The german Version from the Computer Bild magazin DVD doesn't show any warning. The version you can download does.
Strange, but i told the people with problems how to uncrunch the file to get rid of this warning.
Kaspersky just fixed this buggy detection in XDC.exe and Stego.exe with AV last update.
alexanderwdark

2008.01.03 Added support for stego-hiding in loseless TIFF images with LZW/ZIP deflate compression. Fixed some bugs, changed extended header format, included support for all 40 crypto algorithms, including Rijndael, MARS, 3DES, etc.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

Unless I'm doing something wrong I can't figure out how to use this plugin.

I press Alt+F5 (pack) on a .txt file, I choose bmp or tiff as format. I press Configure and I modify the algorithm - is there anything else to configure? what do those numbers, magic id and extended header mean?.

I press OK two times and I get
---------------------------
Plugin
No files found!
OK
TIA for your help!
TC for Linux please!
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

roentgen, you should press alt+F5 on a bitmap.

Bug: the second password dialog should know that I selected "show password" in the 1st one.
Feature suggestion: No encryption.

In case that I try to put too big file inside, it doesn't work w/out showing any error message.
How much information can be hidden? Can't StegoTC suggest maximum size after the bitmap is selected?

Feature request: support for long filenames stored in UTF.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

How much information can be hidden? Can't StegoTC suggest maximum size after the bitmap is selected?
It is shown in Open file dialog (titlebar).
Thanks ;)

However... now I can't extract/view (F3) the hidden file.
Ctrl+PageDown on the resulted bmp I see a file with no name with 344 mb in size (???).
Alt+F6 produces nothing and F3 shows
Total Commander
No files selected!
OK
TC for Linux please!
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

roentgen wrote:
It is shown in Open file dialog (titlebar).
Thanks ;)

However... now I can't extract/view (F3) the hidden file.
Ctrl+PageDown on the resulted bmp I see a file with no name with 344 mb in size (???).
Alt+F6 produces nothing and F3 shows
Total Commander
No files selected!
OK
Thanks for the info.
I've had the same problem and I thought it's too big file, because 2 smaller ones had no problems. But now I see it was only 10% of capacity.
BTW, it's slooow...
alexanderwdark

1. select BMP, Gif, Tiff File
2. select .BMP of .TIFF packer extension (StegoTC). Here from packer settings you can change options
3. select pack, open dialog shows.
4. open dialog in title says maximum storage space
5. space is ~1/3 of raw bitmap pixels. when file too big plugin says it
6. to decrypt, select bmp of tiff and press ctrl+pgdown. Bug can be present only in fantastic to stegosystems data sizes (but no one can have so huge bitmap to hide in it file large then 2 Gb)
7. to decrypt, same settings must be present (bitset, header, algorithm, mode)

p.s. file name is stored in ansi format.
p.s. data is encrypted by one of 40 algoritms (see last version), u can change it in options.
Last edited by alexanderwdark on 2009-01-04, 15:09 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

Where must they be present?

I get this after Ctrl+PageDown.
TC for Linux please!
alexanderwdark

roentgen wrote:
Where must they be present?

I get this after Ctrl+PageDown.

Maybe, after encryption u have entered different settings in plugin options. Or filename was in unicode chars? I try many files and there was is no problem. Problem can be in windows getshortpathname function, because only 12 chars of file name is stored. (i.e. in bitmap pixels there isn't large space for 256 chars and more). Unicode wants to much bytes for storing..
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

The files names are not unicode but it seems there is a problem with my Vista x64. I just tested on a 2003 server x86 and your plugin works as expected.
TC for Linux please!
alexanderwdark

roentgen wrote:The files names are not unicode but it seems there is a problem with my Vista x64. I just tested on a 2003 server x86 and your plugin works as expected.
Thanx for info, but I have no Vista (x32 or x64) and can't test my plugin on it - may be in Vista's GetShortPathNameA function for path conversion.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

I use XP x64 and I sometimes get no filename (and practically no file) too. Don't remember if I changed settings, I don't think I did, but I can't reproduce it now.
It happened with b.bmp and ods.tar, so there shouldn't be any problem with names.

Can't you store settings in the file?
alexanderwdark

m^2 wrote:I use XP x64 and I sometimes get no filename (and practically no file) too. Don't remember if I changed settings, I can't reproduce it now.

Can't you store settings in the file?
Personal settings is security-targeted function. Stored bitset or header has no sense.

Yes, x64 has some strange routine handling. But I work in x32 and can't test it "live" during coding. There is new build with new longname to shortname convert function (see last link), maybe, this will work correct in xp/64
alexanderwdark

2009.01.05 Added strong LZMA compression. To enable it, extended header mode must be selected in options. Block size u can set in options window. Now it's possible to hide 5,5 MB document or text file in 3,2 MB BMP image or 1,6 MB TIFF image :D

2009.01.05 12:30 GMT New build - CRC32 checking after decryption (before LZMA decompression), fixed password dialogs, extended header format redesigned for packed stream CRC32 support, i.e. old format extended mode files not supported.