TC 6 starts up slooowly!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rvdc2003

TC 6 starts up slooowly!

Post by *rvdc2003 »

I just upgraded from TC 5.51 to TC 6 (registered version), and I noticed it takes more than 20 seconds for TC 6 to start up. The basic user interface loads, but it takes really long to load the button bar and both panels. I never had this problem with TC 5.51, which loaded lightning-fast.
Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Ron
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

taken from Total Commander FAQ http://www.ghisler.com/efaqprob.htm
Q: After upgrading from Total Commander 4.0 to 4.5, the start of Total Commander takes one minute instead of 1 second! What can I do?
A: This problem is probably caused by your virus scanner....
Certain virus scanners seem to observe the startup of each program in single step mode, which is of course terribly slow. Solution: Exclude totalcmd.exe from the scan operation - Total Commander contains a built-in virus protection.
Another reason could be recently visited network paths which TC tries to load on startup.
rvdc2003

Solved

Post by *rvdc2003 »

Thanks! It turned out to be the resident virus scanner. Two funny things, though:
(1) I never used to have that problem with Total Commander 5.51 (did something change with 6.0?).
(2) It *only* happened when I started Total Commander from a shortcut on the desktop. When I started TC through the Start menu, everything was fine. How odd...

Ron
Coco

Post by *Coco »

Hi rvdc,

Is it not just the first load which is slowest and then if you start it again it's faster?

Are your 2 shortcuts pointing directly to the program or the one on your desktop point to your other shortcut, (even it will not be very slower but...)
Alain
Maxwish

Re: Solved

Post by *Maxwish »

rvdc2003 wrote: (1) I never used to have that problem with Total Commander 5.51 (did something change with 6.0?).
Yes, the executable is now compressed with UPX.

To avoid the delay (caused by your virusscanner tracing through the TC code in memory for it to be scanned) you can uncompress the totalcmd.exe on your harddrive. This should speed up things.

Get UPX (freeware) and use use command upx -d totalcmd.exe
or use upx graphical and use the decompress option
...BRB...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, this will not work - TC is protected by a checksum to detect viruses, so any modification will cause an error. Please contact your virus scanner manufacturer for an update.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
rvdc2003

Post by *rvdc2003 »

I put Totalcmd.exe on the list of files to be ignored by the virus scanner, and now everything works fine.

Ron
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, this will not work - TC is protected by a checksum to detect viruses, so any modification will cause an error. Please contact your virus scanner manufacturer for an update.
You mean that we can't unpack the totalcmd.exe ourselves to use a unpacked version?

Could we still ask for a unpacked version of totalcmd.exe by email?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will probably put something online in the FAQ section - currently I'm unfortunately too busy, sorry. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com