search features request & misc suggestions

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2eydaimon
The topic here was indexed search
That was ONE of the topics :-)

What we are trying to say here is, that if you had just used the forum's search function, you would have found out that at least your requests number 1 to 4 has been discussed several time before, and that there are solutions to at least no 1 and 3.

If you had for example done a forum search after "indexed search" you would have found out that:
1. the topic has been discussed in at least 4 other threads already,
2. your request brings nothing new,
3. there are third party programmes that can work with TC to do faster searches (locate32,)

BTW please read this:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2 sections 1a and 12
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=42388#42388
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=104752#104752
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

I started using the alt-10 for awhile, and was pleased with it. However, as more folders I had got indexed, using the feature became frustrating. It takes 12 seconds for the search dialog to even open. (there are 50,000 folders indexed).

I still think having better search is paramount to a file manager.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

eydaimon wrote:I started using the alt-10 for awhile, and was pleased with it. However, as more folders I had got indexed, using the feature became frustrating. It takes 12 seconds for the search dialog to even open. (there are 50,000 folders indexed)
Once again, the forum search may be helpful:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=51336&highlight=treeinfo+slow#51336

Regards
Holger
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

HolgerK wrote:
eydaimon wrote:I started using the alt-10 for awhile, and was pleased with it. However, as more folders I had got indexed, using the feature became frustrating. It takes 12 seconds for the search dialog to even open. (there are 50,000 folders indexed)
Once again, the forum search may be helpful:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=51336&highlight=treeinfo+slow#51336

Regards
Holger
Do I take it that you are suggesting that problematic behavior with the software should be solved by consumer work rather than the author actually fixing and solving the problem?

If that's the case, remind me never ever to buy a product that you're selling. I hope Ghisler is of a better mind.

Had you given me the answer without nagging me about searching, I would have been grateful, but now I feel like you're saying it's my fault I didn't look, when I think the software should have fixed such an issue.
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

re-indexing doesn't help for that matter.

The file was 5mb before, and 5mb after, still containing 55 thousand directory entries.

It's a poor index file to boot. It's just lines as opposed to a usable db index format.

I *STILL* maintain that this feature needs to be implemented, and this alt+F10 is just a hack
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

eydaimon wrote:Do I take it that you are suggesting that problematic behavior with the software should be solved by consumer work rather than the author actually fixing and solving the problem?
If the problem is on the customer's computer side.... Yes.
Id' tested this here with a 36.000 folder drive and had no big delay.
remind me never ever to buy a product that you're selling.
I'm not an employee of ghisler.com.
You should keep in mind that this is also a "user to user forum"
eydaimon wrote:re-indexing doesn't help for that matter.
icfu (from the linked thread) wrote:Are you running an antivirus monitor?
Exclude the treeinfo.wc from scanning in that case.
Maybe this one?

Regards
Holger
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

HolgerK wrote: If the problem is on the customer's computer side.... Yes.
Id' tested this here with a 36.000 folder drive and had no big delay.
I can see your point, but I have no magic special setup that would be a problem here.

And I'm just getting impatient at arguments to make a poor solution work. If it's user to user, then why aren't people here in favor of actually getting a better solution instead of what feels like arguments against my suggestions?

HolgerK wrote:
icfu (from the linked thread) wrote:Are you running an antivirus monitor?
Exclude the treeinfo.wc from scanning in that case.
Maybe this one?

Regards
Holger
no on that one too, but thank you for trying to help nevertheless.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

eydaimon,
And I'm just getting impatient at arguments to make a poor solution work. If it's user to user, then why aren't people here in favor of actually getting a better solution instead of what feels like arguments against my suggestions?
People think it's better to try and help you make something work now instead of agreeing with you that this should be improved and letting you wait for a future TC version which might or might not improve this.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

Hacker wrote:it's better to try and help you make something work now instead of agreeing with you that this should be improved and letting you wait for a future TC version which might or might not improve this.

Roman
That does not explain the "arguments against my suggestions".
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

eydaimon,
That does not explain the "arguments against my suggestions".
You are welcome.
why aren't people here in favor of actually getting a better solution instead of what feels like arguments against my suggestions?
That is not mutually exclusive.

As for your suggestion number one, it would break the attributes logic by excluding one attribute. People might complain why the directory attribute is not in its logical place among them. As far as I remember, you are the only one having requested this change, and as long as it does not make sense to most of the people and there is a usable workaround, they will not consider it useful and will not support the implementation / change.

As for your suggestion number two, it has already been proposed and nobody is against.

Concerning your suggestion number three, it has already been proposed, some people are in favor, some are not, an alternate updated .chm help download might be available later for TC 7.5.

As for number four - it might be nice but could bring other problems, like people who have customized menus would have them suddenly changed, translations might be wrong, perhaps there might be problems with right-to-left languages, write rights for the menu file, etc. Generally there is little from a user's perspective to see wrong with this, but betatesters know how one little feature might bring lots of trouble with it, and the time might be better spent on other, less troublesome features. Nobody is saying that it's a bad idea per se.

Your suggestion number five is nice but seems a little too complex to implement, at least without specific concepts of the UI, use cases, etc. It always helps to propose features with a description of how they would work and perhaps even some fake screenshots, or screenshots and explanations about how it works in other tools, preferably comparable to TC.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

I wanted to share a solution I've found for my search for now. It's not optimal because it doesn't have TC integrated to the level I'd like, but it certainly makes finding files and folders snappily.

I'm using a program called Everything

It has the option to set an external file manager:
5.2 How can I set "Everything" to use an external file manager?

Requires "Everything" 1.2.0 beta or later.
Exit Everything.
Open Everything.ini in "Everything"'s installation folder.
Add the following 2 lines to the bottom of the ini:
open_folder_command=$exec("ExternalFileManager.exe" "%1")
open_folder_path_command=$exec("ExternalFileManager.exe" "$parent(%1)")
Replace the text ExternalFileManager.exe with the full path and file name of your file manager executable.
Check your external file manager help for any required command line parameters.
Restart "Everything".
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

For your Information: Launching a tab in Totalcmd from explorer?
How to configure "Everything"-Beta that Total Commander opens the result list (not Explorer)
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

out of curiousity. the %commander_path% didn't seem to map to my actual path. How can I set that? registry option or something?