Windows special folders

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

orphess

Windows special folders

Post by *orphess »

Suggestion: Option for displaying special folder names instead of "real" directory names for Windows special folders, just like in Explorer.

Arguably most valuable to non-english users where these folders would now show in their native language. But might be of use for english users as well.

Examples on special folders: My Documents, Downloads, Favourites, Desktop...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have decided against it already a while ago, because I want to show the user what really is on disk, not some fake simulated names...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
xxxl

Post by *xxxl »

it might be an option for this.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2xxxl
Optionable could be OK but I know that it might be more work for implementing that than we expect because each special folder might behave different (compare Favourites and Control Panel or My Computer). Big effort with questionable usability.

I prefer current way it works because I don't really like to show me things different than they really are. As an example I can mention Start menu which is not a single folder but few other combined. How TC should handle copying to them if we decide to treat it as one?

What if Microsoft decides to create special Pictures folder with all pictures from all partitions in it? Where will your files go on move?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

orphess

Post by *orphess »

The folders I'm thinking of (which I clearly missed pointing out) are the user profile specific ones - not the Control Panel or My Computer etc.

...But I can see the problematics implementing this as stated by both of you. Thanks for your replies!
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

orphess wrote:The folders I'm thinking of (which I clearly missed pointing out) are the user profile specific ones - not the Control Panel or My Computer etc.
It would mean extending TC functionality just to limit that to few dirs only. "Feel free to take a sandwitch... but only these with chees" ;)
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...