downgrading to 7.04 breaks FTP, at least one server

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

urlwolf

downgrading to 7.04 breaks FTP, at least one server

Post by *urlwolf »

I've found that downgrading to 7.04 breaks FTP, at least one server: ftp.revolutioncomputing.com

It switches to passive mode, then gets stuck there. Sorry, cannot share user and pwd for that server, and cannot find another that replicates problem.

Not a 7.5 issue per se... but jik.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, urlwolf.

You posted your issue in the TC75.0 Beta bug Reports Forum. Yet, I fail to see where the bug may be.

Before you upgraded T.C. 7.04a to T.C. 7.50PB1 you must have taken a backup of the most relevant INI files, i.e. wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini.

Now after you have reverted back to T.C. 7.04a you simply restore the backup copies of wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini and relaunch T.C. 7.04a.

That's it. Problem solved. No bugs found. :wink:

Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC 7.04a should be able to handle 7.5 ftp settings just fine, except when using a master password. I have both installed in parallel, and I don't have any problems so far. Can you describe more in detail what goes wrong?
It switches to passive mode, then gets stuck there.
This happens when the connection is set to PORT (active) mode and the connection is somehow blocked, e.g. by a firewall. Not all servers allow to switch to passive mode after receiving the PORT command, they will just hang. Please try to set the connection manually to passive mode.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
makkan_x

Similar problem

Post by *makkan_x »

I have a similar problem. After upgrading to 7.50 SFTP didn't work. I went back to 7.04 and SFTP didn't work there either. I installed 7.50 in the same directory where I had 7.04 but after taking a copy.
Today I tried ftp in 7.04 and it didn't work.
Getting "Create socket failed" when trying ftp.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, makkan_x.

When you downgraded have you followed these steps?
  • Stopped T.C. v7.50PB1
  • Removed all files inside the folder %COMMANDER_PATH% and %COMMANDER_PATH%\Language
  • Restored all backed up T.C. 7.04 files to %COMMANDER_PATH% and %COMMANDER_PATH%\Language as appropriate
  • Restored the backup copies of wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini to their appropriate original locations?
If you have done so, T.C. 7.04 should have been restored to its original state.
(I know there are other ways of downgrading successfully as well. But this is one method which should work.)

Moreover, it is imaginable that the "Create socket failed" error is unrelated to your T.C. up- and downgrade.

Kind regards,
Karl
makkan_x

Post by *makkan_x »

Well what I did was to copy the directory totalcmd to totalcmd_org.
I then installed 7.50 in totalcmd. When I noticed that SFTP didn't work I closed totalcmd and renamed totalcmd to totalcmd_new and then renamed totalcmd_org to totalcmd. I keep my ini files in the totalcmd directory so they should not have been changed.
makkan_x

Post by *makkan_x »

After reinstalling 7.04a my ftp is working again.
Update:
Now I have installed the beta version again and now both FTP and SFTP is working.
Go figure.
Last edited by makkan_x on 2009-04-20, 22:01 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

makkan_x wrote:After reinstalling 7.04a my ftp is working again.
Interesting. What does re-installing mean? You ran the T.C. 7.04a setup and installed to the same location as before?

Kind regards,
Karl
makkan_x

Post by *makkan_x »

Yes
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hm. The installer does not modify an existing wcx_ftp.ini file during the installation. This might suggest that the "Create socket failed" error message may indeed have had no relation to upgrading and downgrading T.C.

Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe a firewall problem? Some firewalls block internet access when a program exe is changed...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com