Access denied while viewing file inside archive

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

0x90

Access denied while viewing file inside archive

Post by *0x90 »

Total Commander v7.04a

1). I have zip archive named "Test" (w/o extension) which contains seciond zip archive named "Test" (w/o extension too) which contains file named "Test" (w/o extension).
2). Ctrl+PageDown on archive - see internal archive Test.
3). Ctrl+PageDown on internal archive Test - see packed file Test.
4). F3 on file Test (Lister call) - Access denied.

May be create temporary unpacked files with GUID in temporary paths? current way now good for all situations.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Access denied while viewing file inside archive

Post by *karlchen »

0x90 wrote:Total Commander v7.04a

1). I have zip archive named "Test" (w/o extension) which contains seciond zip archive named "Test" (w/o extension too) which contains file named "Test" (w/o extension).
[...] current way now good for all situations.
Creating archive files which do not have the appropriate filename extensions is not good, either.
Creating archive files which do not conform to the rules and then start complaining about alledged buggy behaviour means turning things upside down. :(

I have not experienced any problems viewing a file inside a nested archive so far. But the nested archives had filenames which had the appropriate filename extensions.

Solution:
Create and use nested archives which conform to the general naming conventions, and T.C. will behave as expected. :idea:

Cheers,
Karl
0x90

Post by *0x90 »

Hi, Karl. Thanks for reply.

1) I create archives and files as I want :)
2) I'm not so dummy for problem solution :)

I just want to talking about TC, which doesn't work as expected in some cases. And I think this situation more bug, not feature. I wrote which way is correct - using GUIDs is most used practice in storing temporary files.

WBR, Alexander.

P.S. It will be very nice to hear TC developers about this question ;)
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

0x90 wrote:P.S. It will be very nice to hear TC developers about this question ;)
Just 1 developer by the way. :)

Cheers
Karl
0x90

Post by *0x90 »

I understand. Thanks :) I think question can be closed.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, 0x90.

Letting you know that T.C. is being maintained by one person was in not way meant to discourage you from making feature requests. It was just for your information.

Maybe Christian Ghisler will pick up your thread and reply. Being a normal T.C. user only I cannot promise anything though.

Cheers,
Karl
tridy

Post by *tridy »

So, you have a setup like this:

test[zip]
----test[zip]
--------test[txt]

I looked at how TC unpacks the files. The first level into a temp/test directory. the second level TC tries to unpack to the same temp/test directory which is pointing an already existing folder in temp. in other words, it tries to view the file that you are in right now and not the one that is actually inside the archive.

Image: http://i41.tinypic.com/abpaqg.png

If the second level would have a different name, ctrl+pagedown and then f3 would work properly, e.g:

test[zip]
----test1[zip]
--------test[txt]

at the same time you get the same error if you name all the files (including the last, which is actually txt) with zip extension:

test.zip
----test.zip
--------test.zip[txt]

and try to f3 the last test.zip (which is a TXT file in reality, for example), you will get the same access denied error.

and just to make it even more complicated, the F3 will work all the time if you have even (4, for example) levels, e.g:

test[zip]
----test[zip]
--------test[zip]
------------test[txt]

and

test.zip
----test.zip
--------test.zip
------------test.zip[txt]

will have last level F3 working properly.

And I guess all the odd levels of 5th, 7th, 9th and so on would have the error. I can hardly imagine a life situation where you would want to have the end file to have the same name and extension (or none) as several levels above.

Overall, I think this type of an error would be a fair limitation of the TC's unpacking system. There are several ways of fixing this issue but it should go waaaaaay down in the list of priorities. :)
[tridy]
License #: 79539
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm aware of this problem. The solution would be to have a separate unpack directory for each archive, but this would quickly clutter your temp dir with thousands of directories, so I prefer not to do it. You will need to unpack the inner archive manually or rename it to solve this problem, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com