Quick Search is a bit awkward with Chinese IME ... or is it?

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

yyang

Quick Search is a bit awkward with Chinese IME ... or is it?

Post by *yyang »

I like Quick Search very much and use it every day. With pb 7.50's unicode support it looks lovelier, but there is always a but...

The problem is that a Chinese IME allows multiple characters to jump in all at once, but 7.50 beta only captures the first. For instance, suppose there are 2 files, "高考.txt" and "高三.txt", under a same folder. Quick Search fails to match the latter one when I type in g-a-o-s-a-n altogether, with "Quick search (current dir)" = "Letters" and "Exact name matching" = "Beginning".

An obvious workaround is to first type g-a-o for "高", wait for the quick search filter to appear, then s-a-n for "三". But with an intelligent Chinese IME, g-s is often enough for "高三", so people won't like the character-by-character way. Another alternative is to invoke the quick search filter explicitly, with the downside of extra keystrokes, or extra thinking: am I trying to search for a Chinese string?

I guess I'm lazy enough to call this a problem. Still I'm not sure it's an oversight or by design -- any comment is welcome!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your detailed report, I didn't know that it's possible to input multiple characters this way. I will support it in public beta 2.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
yyang

Post by *yyang »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for your detailed report, I didn't know that it's possible to input multiple characters this way. I will support it in public beta 2.
Thank you with all my heart!
cheming

Post by *cheming »

yyang wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for your detailed report, I didn't know that it's possible to input multiple characters this way. I will support it in public beta 2.
Thank you with all my heart!
I tried pb2, and can't input more than one Chinese at same time. :cry:

I hope I can filter Chinese filenames by input simple english char like "g-s" presents "高三" :oops:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Strange, it works perfectly here! are you sure the name you searched is present in the file list?

Here is what I tried:
1. Create file "高三.txt" with Shift+F4 g-a-o s-a-n .txt
2. Set quick search mode to Letters - with search dialog
3. Typed g-a-o s-a-n -> the cursor jumped directly to directory "高三", and "高三" was shown in the quick search dialog.

I also tried the mode "Letters only", it worked fine too and jumped to the right file even with file "高考.txt" before it.

Can you describe what you do differently, please?
cheming

Post by *cheming »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Strange, it works perfectly here! are you sure the name you searched is present in the file list?

Here is what I tried:
1. Create file "高三.txt" with Shift+F4 g-a-o s-a-n .txt
2. Set quick search mode to Letters - with search dialog
3. Typed g-a-o s-a-n -> the cursor jumped directly to directory "高三", and "高三" was shown in the quick search dialog.

I also tried the mode "Letters only", it worked fine too and jumped to the right file even with file "高考.txt" before it.

Can you describe what you do differently, please?
Strange too. I asked my friends, some can input multi-chinese, others can't. I don't know why. :cry:

In fact, what my steps are same as yours. only difference is only first char can be input here.
cheming

Post by *cheming »

2ghisler:

Would you plz send me a SPECIAL copy of the TC that contains extra-debug code to log more information about what is the TC doing when user input Chinese to quicksearch? then I will paste the logging file to the forum.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I don't know what exactly you would need logged...
cheming

Post by *cheming »

2ghisler:

why I can paste multi-char of Chinese but can't input them? maybe some logs can explain it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe this problem is caused by AdMuncher too, as you reported here:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=22086
?

I have no problems to enter multi-char of Chinese in public beta 2...
cheming

Post by *cheming »

so strange! I installed a clean XP system in a virtual machine and can input multi-chinese but failed when I then installed a new admuncher.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

So it really seems to be AdMuncher. I will make some tests with it. Maybe I can find a workaround, otherwise I will have to complain to the developer...
cheming

Post by *cheming »

Confirmed! Multi-Char of Chinese can be inputed at one time now in version pb2a.

I have an another very exciting suggestion about QuickSearch function when users want to search Chinese that only typing "g-s" to search “高三” instead of entering "高三“ by typing "g-a-o-s-a-n" via an IME.

This feature is the same as what just QuickSearchPro that a very useful add-on for all Chinese people does.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2cheming
Thanks for confirming the fix!

To all who wonder about pb2a, it's just a test release for cheming to check this bugfix. The next official beta release will be public beta 3, and it will of course also contain this fix.
I have an another very exciting suggestion about QuickSearch function when users want to search Chinese that only typing "g-s" to search “高三” instead of entering "高三“ by typing "g-a-o-s-a-n" via an IME.

This feature is the same as what just QuickSearchPro that a very useful add-on for all Chinese people does.
Hmm, I don't think that this belongs into quick search, but into a new custom IME, so it can be used in all programs. Maybe author of QuickSearchPro could write an IME?
cheming

Post by *cheming »

ghisler(Author) wrote:

Hmm, I don't think that this belongs into quick search, but into a new custom IME, so it can be used in all programs. Maybe author of QuickSearchPro could write an IME?
Hmm, it sounds inexplainable to a man whose mother language isn't a glyph. That function is called here "searching" too. It is the same as users typing the full glyph phrase. Chinese people who want to input some glyph always use an IME and type some phoneticize spell. In order to let users search something that like the name in the address book quickly, programs always allow users to type the fisrt letter of the phoneticize spell of Chinese. In other words, you can type only first letter of the phoneticize spell instead of enter the whole Chinese through an IME. For example, you can type "g-s" to search "高三" (the phoneticize spell of it is "g-a-o-s-a-n") or “高速”(the phoneticize spell of it is "g-a-o-s-u")。

So, QuickSearchPro is not an IME, the author of it could not write an IME. He just make it be smart when users want to search some Chinese without needing load an IME and entering all the Chinese.

Of course, mading such a program needs having knowledge about how to spell Chinese character. If you need it, I will help you. Certainly, maybe the author of QuickSearchPro could give you his source and you can integrate it into the TotalCommander. I hope so. :-)