LZMA (Method=10?)

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cheming

LZMA (Method=10?)

Post by *cheming »

in Internal ZIP config dialog, I can see the text below:

other: [ ] (0=none, 10=LZMA)

but in fact, I can't input or adjust this value with 10. :?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

What translation are you using? LZMA is disabled by default, and shouldn't be shown there. It's added just to test LZMA extraction, which was added recently for WinZIP compatibility. Besides WinZIP almost no other ZIP packers can unpack LZMA, therefore it shouldn't be used.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
cheming might be using my Extended Menu - I have put 10=LZMA in that language file that belongs to the menu.

2cheming
To enable LZMA put: LzmaAllowed=1 in the [Packer] section of your wincmd.ini file
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

My proposal---

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hi Peter !

• We have this also in French, according to the proposal I posted in the test-forum ;)
- That doesn't hurt… It could be added in all *.LNGs, since no translation is needed.
- Well, finally, you and I are the only two “snipers” … :D
- And I still think that this feature is to keep, since we can unpack the produced ZIPs with TC.
- To export archives, one can always choose another format (RAR i.e. or pkZIP with “9” ratio).
- In the same painting, only a few programmes support SQX,
that doesn't prevent me to use it for my own purpose in my computer… :roll:

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Clo

It is probably the french language file cheming is using then, since I have spaced the string a little out: (0 = none, 10 = LZMA)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Not sure---

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

• The official Fench LNG contains :
(0=aucune¦10=LZMA)
With a neutral dashed pipe as a separator… :?
- Anyway, it's a simple way to show that the function exists, simply watching the ZIP options page ;)

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
cheming

Post by *cheming »

thanks all! IC.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

@Translators: Please don't add the info about LZMA. Currently it's unofficial support disabled by default. Users shouldn't use this for compatibility with other ZIP packers.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

IMO, there's no need to integrate into TC Zip LZMA packing support - this is a non-standard extension.
People, if you wanna get good compression rate, do not use standard Zip with such exotic stuff - use 7-Zip with native LZMA, it is supported by many software.
I don't know why people like WinZip, any archiver can operate with Zip-archives. Much more extractors may unpack 7-Zip LZMA archives than Zip LZMA. Last version of 7-Zip unpacks Zip LZMA also.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indeed the advantage of zip is that almost any program (including Windows Explorer) can unpack it. Therefore LZMA isn't enabled by default, it would break this compatibility with no big difference in size.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Indeed the advantage of zip is that almost any program (including Windows Explorer) can unpack it. Therefore LZMA isn't enabled by default, it would break this compatibility with no big difference in size.
Fully agreed. That's the reason I do not welcome such exotic stuff. There are a lot of another formats where such stuff looks good, but not in the format that many years comes as world-wide standard.