FTP connection problem

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bdesatnik

FTP connection problem

Post by *bdesatnik »

Hello,

I've setup an FTP connection and checked the "Send command to keep connection alive" option, specified NOOP command and "Send interval every 300 s". What I'm finding is that the connection is timing out after a short time and I need to refresh the connection manually by using CTL-R. In the command window on the right side of Total Commander, I do not see the NOOP commands being executed.

I checked wcx_ftp.ini in c:\winnt and it shows keepalive=300,NOOP. When it was set to 90s, it seemed to work fine. Is there a limitation on the number of seconds that can be used for this option?

Thanks in advance.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Well, use 90 then. A command cannot be sent after a connection times out, it must be sent before that to keep the connection active.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
bdesatnik

Post by *bdesatnik »

My point in increasing the time limit was to reduce the number of commands sent. Sometimes my connection remains opened for several hours at a time. I know that my connection remains active for more than 300s (i.e. 5 minutes) and at least 10 minutes.
havanna

Post by *havanna »

Timeout of the connection is set on the server.
If that is more than 5 minutes then 300 sec should do.
Could be some sort of balancing device timing out depending on server load too, so that would be variable.

Curiosity: What's the reason to reduce the number of commands? That NOOP just takes a few bytes and wouldn't affect you transfer volume or bandwidth in any significant way...
Tanstaafl