Indicating if unicode or >256chr names present in dir

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Indicating if unicode or >256chr names present in dir

Post by *Postkutscher »

I suggest to revert unicode name detection that was removed in TC7.5 but to change TC`s reaction. (Possibly in TC7.05 too, if it comes to the world).

Please have a look to the Image: http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1355/00151632x328bit.png

Just add a pair of pixels on the left and right sides from the up arrow which is an icon for the .. (parent directory). The left one must appear if the current directory contains unicode names , the right one if it contains the files with very long names (or vice-versa). I think it is absolutely not annoing for everybody, but informative.
Some problems with unexpected interaction with recycle bin and other sofware could be avoided at this way.

I came to this idea when I have burned a DVD from such a directory. Some files became "short names" after that though the burning sofware has burned the disk successfully. If I would know, I would prefer to rename them manually.

BTW Filename_ChrCount.wdx plugin is no more usable with TC7.5. It cannot handle such a long names. Just tested. The empty field will be shown for some files. (with TC7.04 259 is shown in this case, but it cannot be true).
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Excellent suggestion! Support++
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Well, a new msg_charcount plugin could be written with Unicode support for that purpose. TC will pass names longer than 259 characters only to plugins exporting Unicode functions, to prevent crashes - the old limit was 259 characters, so many plugins will not be able to handle longer names.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

2ghisler(Author)
Ok, I`ll try to make such a plugin. But this sentence about plugin was only aside.
The main idea is that plugin cannot be so comfortable in use as my suggestion above. Even if I`ll have chrcount field as tooltip it will be not so good and demonstrably like additional indication at the TC`s panel.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2Postkutscher,

Excellent! Looking forward to it.

User of Total Commander
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

Postkutscher wrote:Even if I`ll have chrcount field as tooltip it will be not so good and demonstrably like additional indication at the TC`s panel.
I agree with that.

Extendability of panel info has been discussed many times in the past and it would be awesome if WDX plugins could interact with it somehow.

2ghisler(Author)
How hard would it be to add one more method to WDX interface or bottom info bar customisation (using the same method as for tooltips but with "\t" instead of "\n")? Maybe in 8.0?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

How hard would it be to add one more method to WDX interface or bottom info bar customisation
Not hard - but the problem is speed - to get a summary for all fields, TC would have to call the plugin(s) for all the files in the panel. This can be very slow and mae TC almost unusuable. Try for example to sort by a slow column like dirsizecalc, and you see what I mean.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2ghisler(Author)
I know it might be slow sometimes but I thought about it as an option to be chosen by user, not default behaviour.

Currently LongInStatus has two possible values 0 and 1 but giving additional ones (with command for easy switching between them) could help a lot:

- 2 - show custom info for parent directory - works almost like 0;
- 3 - show custom info for selected file - works like 1;

#2 should solve speed problem because information needs to be taken only once for directory we are inside.
#3 could be used like custom columns but without need for view mode switch.

In the case of multiple selection basic features from 0 (like total size of all files) could be provided if someone else doesn't have better idea ;)

Speed is not an issue here because it is up to user to decide will he use it at all. This is almost the same situation as for files tooltips or custom columns. If I decide to use them, I can't complain that TC gets slow.

P.S. Or maybe just add command for getting info "on demand" which will work like cm_ShowHint but with bottom bar label instead of tooltip.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

fenix_productions,
if someone else doesn't have better idea
There are some thought out concepts concerning a possible future status panel, but the authors have so far not found them worth presenting, as they certainly won't find a way into TC 7.50.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

2Boofo
If you are steel interesting on this plugin here you have. It is alpha but I hope it is good enough. Anyway it must not made any destructive actions :) Is is read only.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. ;)

Please let me know when/if you update it.

User of Total Commander