Consider adding such a feature!

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

efree

Consider adding such a feature!

Post by *efree »

I want the TC just for myself.Because I always want to make a customizition to my TC, but others always change them, I can not stop others use my PC. So I want to have a feature that I minimized the TC, when someone want to restore, it must enter a password to access the UI!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Maybe it will be easier to make own ini-file and to start TC with another link so settings will be yours own (or just copy TC into another folder and keep wincmd.ini in it)?

Anyway, this feature is not needed in TC, there are a lot of programs that may protect software with passwords or in some other way.

This example shows how you may use some kind of password for starting TC with your own settings with no other software:

0 (only once). Create a file bbreodc.bat (or any other filename) in Windows or Windows\System32 folder with command that will start your own copy of TC.

For starting your TC copy follow theese simple steps:
1. Open command line (=launch TC link)
2. Type "bbreodc" in it (=type password)
3. Press Enter (=confirm password)
So, your TC will start only if you specify correct command name (=password) :)

Sample contents of bbreodc.bat:

Code: Select all

@echo off
start "Loading TC" "D:\My Path\My TC copy\totalcmd.exe"
start "Loading TC" "C:\Totalcmd\totalcmd.exe" /i=YourOwnIniFileName.ini
cls
You should leave only one line with "start" command. First start command will load another copy of TC, second will start same TC copy but with your own settings file.

If you copy TC folder, place your own wincmd.ini into it and add into [Configuration] section line UseIniInProgramDir=7.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, efree.

Basically, your request is the same as the one which has been posted here only a few weeks ago: Password Protection?.

Therefore the hint to use the access privilege system built-in to current Windows version in order to prevent other users from using your Total Commander might apply in your case as well.

Basically, there is not much sense in implementing a legacy password protection into every single application, because NT based Windows systems bring along everything which is needed in order to revoke access to any object from other users.

In your particular case, you are talking about preventing users from restoring the minimized T.C. programme window. Hey. whenever you leave your machine unatteneded, all you have to do is press Ctrl-Alt-Del and select "Lock". no-one is going to restore anything without knowing your password unless he is an administrator.

Kind regards,
Karl
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

or just Win+L
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Or just use the WindowsKey+L. Indeed. :oops:

Karl
efree

Post by *efree »

Thank you so many people to reply my post.
It seems that finding a thrid party software/plugin is a good idea.

Because my computer is not only use by myself, others need it for surfing or working, I just want that they cannot use the TC only.

Lock the workstation is a way but not a good one!
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

2efree
If your system is newer than Windows2000, the best thing you can do is to use your system as multiuser system. I meen you make a separate configuration for each user on your computer, where each user logins with his own name and his own config. I doubt if the third party tools can be more efficient than the natural system way. Locking of the computer under this conditions doesn`t mean that nobody can use the computer, but means that the other can login with his own name and do his works independent onto you.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Another tricky way could be create a shortcut to TC that other users find quickly - for example on the desktop.
Then create another a bit more hidden shortcut that uses your personal profile.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Lefteous wrote:Another tricky way could be create a shortcut to TC that other users find quickly - for example on the desktop.
Then create another a bit more hidden shortcut that uses your personal profile.
I suggested this with some kind of password protection :)
BTW, it is a good idea to create separate user and to encrypt TC folder within it profile. So, only this user may launch TC. And from common profile that TC may be launched from that separate user's name and password.