suggested option: limit #FTP commands per secnd (firewalls!)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hachi

suggested option: limit #FTP commands per secnd (firewalls!)

Post by *Hachi »

Hi all,

for some time I've been thinking about a problem I have with my (I admit: cheapo) fw/router: If I want to get a large number of files from an ftp server, TC sends FTP commands so fast that my router crashes and blocks.

I guess there might also be FTP servers which do not like getting too many commands at a time? Anyway, I would be very glad about a feature where you can set a limit to the no. of commands sent per second, or add a delay of xyz milliseconds after each command. Would that make sense?

Cheers,

Stephan
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Wow, I have never heared of a router which crashes because of too many commands per second! TC only sends the next command when it has received the reply from the ftp server, it never sends multiple commands at once...

Btw, if your server supports secure ftp, you may consider to use that (with passive mode), because the firewall cannot listen to that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hachi

Post by *Hachi »

Yes, very weird indeed. I've ruminated about what's happening, but the only conclusion I could get is that this router crashes when sending so many FTP commands in short time. I have to switch on and off to get any network connection after that happens...

Cheers,

Stephan