"not responding" on calculating directories

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thany

"not responding" on calculating directories

Post by *Thany »

Shift+Alt+Enter calculates the size occupied by the contents of the directories in the current listing. Sounds great, and it is. But one thing about it has been irritating me for as long as I can remember. I just never came around to reporting it...

Anyway, here's what: calculating directories may take several seconds, especially directories that have a fairly large tree underneath them, or directories on slow volumes (usb stick, network, cardreaders...). The problem is that calculating is being done by the foreground process, causing the TC window to freeze during it. If it only took half a second, it'd be ok, but freezing the GUI for more than a second shouldn't happen in this day and age.

There's a side-effect to this. As soon as the GUI unfreezes, the first thing TC does, is update the directory, causing the calculated sizes to disappear.

Another side-effect: cancelling the calculation by pressing Esc has become impossible once the "not responding" appears in the title bar, which is usually after just a few seconds. Windows then decides that the program doesn't respond, and can no longer send input to it. Therefor leaving the user with 2 options: wait or kill.

Please make it so that calculating directories happens in a background thread. Thanks :)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Try to press Escape during calculations - it will abort operation. For me it works even when "(Not responding)" appear and I switched focus some times (even when TC window is blank).

AFAIK this feature will be moved to background in some next versions of TC.
Iggi

Post by *Iggi »

MVV wrote:AFAIK this feature will be moved to background in some next versions of TC.
Hoping it will be done soon. The waiting time is really annoying.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.

When you press <shift><alt><enter>, Total Commander calculates the size occupied by the folder contents in the current file panel.
Total Commander 7.55 pb1 performs this job in a background thread.
history.txt wrote:28.10.09 Added: Handle dir space calculation in background (when user presses SPACE or Alt+Shift+Enter)
So I assume that Thany's bug report can be considered solved.

Total Commander 7.55pb1

Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com