Save tab layout to the same file without confirmation

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dadooda

Save tab layout to the same file without confirmation

Post by *dadooda »

Hi!

I think it would be great if TCMD had a feature to quickly save tab layout to the same file without confirmation.

Use case:

Suppose we're working on a project with 6-7 frequently used subdirs, which we configure as tabs, say, locked or "locked but directory changes allowed". The *.tab file in this case becomes a sort of "project file" which enables us to begin effectively working with the project without having to configure tabs from scratch.

However, while we work on a project, active tabs may be added, removed or reconfigured. For that purpose, a quick save feature (e.g. in the tab context menu) would be more than useful.

Today (version 7.50a), to "save project tabs" we have to:
* Activate tab context menu.
* Select "Save tabs to file" which is neither first nor last, but in the middle. Yes, we have to aim!
* In the file dialog, select the proper *.tab file. We've got a number of projects and numerous *.tab files if we're working like this.
* In the popup dialog we must select YES to overwrite.

Surprisingly, but excessive confirmations in this kind of workflow increase the probability of operator error, since we have to repeat all this stuff every time instead of doing it in one easy step.

Please consider this feature. Any details, please ask.

Thanks for a great product.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That sounds indeed useful. Maybe with a new button bar command, e.g. SAVETABS tabfilename ?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dadooda

Post by *dadooda »

Christian
ghisler(Author) wrote:That sounds indeed useful. Maybe with a new button bar command, e.g. SAVETABS tabfilename ?
In my oppinion, the best will be saving to the same file from which the tabs have been loaded. If anyone uses TCMD in this way, be sure he's got a bunch of *.tab files, each for a different project.

Visually it could be, say, a small diskette-like indicator which is dimmed when there are no changes to tabs and highlighted when there are. Click the activated icon -- the "project" is saved and the indicator is dimmed again. Like "file modified" indicator in text editors, got it? That would make it user-friendly.

As for me, an item "Save to 'c:\...\something.tab'" in tab context menu will make me 110% happy, since I'm all-keyboard.
JustAnotherTCUser

Post by *JustAnotherTCUser »

@ghisler:

what about combining a solution for the above tasks with this one?
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=25973

maybe a drop down list above the tabs, between size of partition and the backslash to jump to the root, with definable tab sets (means some existing *.tab files), and also an entry like "standard tab set" or so, representing the tab states and positions saved in wincmd.ini (the actual way).

then a second option to chose between saving on demand with shortcut, or, like in the other thread mentioned, an automatic save function of any tab related values on adding/closing/order/locking/etc.

i think it would considerable increase the usability of tab sets.

regards

are the *.tab files containing only one set of tabs per panel?
dadooda

Post by *dadooda »

Hi TCMD team

Any chance the requested feature is put on the list?