Progress dialog box question?

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

harrismail

Progress dialog box question?

Post by *harrismail »

I don't seem to see the feature:-

"Show progress dialog box when reading a directory takes longer than 5 seconds"

I see the question mark over where the file size will be but nothing more even when the calculation is much longer than 5 seconds.

What should I be seeing?

Steve
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Just press: Ctrl+B in "C:\".
harrismail

Post by *harrismail »

I must have misunderstood as I thought this feature would happen when I pressed the space bar on a directory to select it and show it's size?

Steve
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

harrismail wrote:I must have misunderstood as I thought this feature would happen when I pressed the space bar on a directory to select it and show it's size?
Yes. This feature allows to interrupt long folder opening e.g. if it contains a lot of files or it is inaccessible (e.g. network folder).

When you press Spacebar on folder, TC since version 7.55 puts calculation into background thread so you may continue working with TC (e.g. press Spacebar on another folder to add its size calculation to background thread's task list). While TC calculates folder size it writes ? as folder size and adds two green arrows to folder icon. When size is calculated TC removes green arrows and replaces ? with calculated size. Note that you may interrupt calculation with Escape.
harrismail

Post by *harrismail »

Thanks - that clears things up :-)

Steve