/O parameter doesn't work from another user's environment

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

/O parameter doesn't work from another user's environment

Post by *MVV »

I noticed that when jumped to file from Everything. Everything requires admin rights to read MFT. When I tried to jump to file, I saw another TC instance (of course, with same rights as Everything) instead of opening path in running instance.

You don't need Everything to test bug, just open admin console and execute command:

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD.EXE /O /S /T /L="C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll"
If no admin instance of TC started, it will be started and folder will be opened in it, but if admin instance already started but minimized, and last used instance was one under current user account, all work as expected - it jumps to a file in new tab of active panel.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

MVV,
history.txt wrote:31.01.10 Added: Wincmd.ini [Configuration] OnlyOnce now supports values >1 and <-1 to limit the number of copies to x (>0 means per user, <0 means per system)
31.01.10 Added: Wincmd.ini [Configuration] OnlyOnce=-1 allows one copy for TC for all users as in previous TC versions
31.01.10 Added: Wincmd.ini [Configuration] OnlyOnce=1 now allows one copy of TC per user (e.g. when started via RunAs), not one copy for all users as in older versions
Perhaps?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Parameter /O is used when user doesn't want to start new instance anyway but to use existing one (last active). And it should work regardless of OnlyOnce value.
BTW, I tried different OnlyOnce values, result is the same - described above.

But you're right, in TC 7.50a all works fine, so bug was made in betas of 7.55 - maybe while adding additional values for OnlyOnce parameter.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please use OnlyOnce=-1, this should work exactly as in TC 7.50a and older.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think you misunderstood me. OnlyOnce works well except that new TC copy is started anyway even if /O parameter is specified. I think that /O parameter should override OnlyOnce value (like /N does), so if I specified /O and started instance can pass folder to existing one, it should do this instead of opening folder itself. And when at least one elevated TC instance is running, /O works exactly as expected - folder is passed into last used TC instance (in normal instance if elevated one is minimized) - so new instance is not started here (BTW, I have OnlyOnce=3, so third instance still may be opened).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, /O considers whether the default OnlyOnce behaviour is used, or OnlyOnce=-1. The difference is whether /O should consider programs belonging to other users or not.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Maybe help file should explain this? Or maybe some other key (or parameter for /O) may be added? It was working just fine before it was changed in 7.55.