7zip native?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gryzor

7zip native?

Post by *gryzor »

When?
theosdikaios

Post by *theosdikaios »

Never.
"Since there are many things which have never happened and never will happen,
and which nevertheless are clearly conceivable, and imply no contradiction,
how can one say they are absolutely impossible?" Leibniz
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

theosdikaios wrote:Never.
Never say never. 7Z is the better format for now.

Let's hope that in TC 8. :)
TC needs just to support 7z.dll and provide parameter to specify path to it.
theosdikaios

Post by *theosdikaios »

2MVV Plz look at my signature. :D
"Since there are many things which have never happened and never will happen,
and which nevertheless are clearly conceivable, and imply no contradiction,
how can one say they are absolutely impossible?" Leibniz
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

Support ++

Today 7-zip is an important standard compressor besides RAR and ZIP. I see 7-zip archives almost daily. Most software archives and installers are packed with 7-zip. So it would be great to see it supported by TC.
Egh

Post by *Egh »

Notion fully supported!

Packer plugin is buggy still, and iirc has troubles with some unicode names etc.

At least un7z should be included natively, besides, full source code is available anyway. There must me some Delphi components for that already.

There was a couple of free components for D7 iirc.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Existing 7z.dll supporting is better than using Delphi 7z components since people who don't need this DLL may just remove it (and it won't waste additional memory and code) and people who have 7-Zip installed may just specify path to existing 7z.dll.
Egh

Post by *Egh »

MVV wrote:Existing 7z.dll supporting is better than using Delphi 7z components since people who don't need this DLL may just remove it (and it won't waste additional memory and code) and people who have 7-Zip installed may just specify path to existing 7z.dll.
So where do I specify path to the existing 7z.dll? :)
X-Byte

Post by *X-Byte »

I'd also like to utter my wish for integrated 7z support
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

What exactly is the advantage? A plugin can be updated anytime and can have all the features that an integrated would have.
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

The best solution is to add 7zip to packer configuration dialog. Then you can define external packer path or check "Use internal 7zip if possible".
Currently TC already supports some packers this way. But most of these packers are unimportant. I have not seen any Arj or Lha archive for years now. In MS-Dos times both packers were top compressors. But time is over now. Also I never saw an UC2 archive. ACE ist still used in rarely cases. But compression ratio is bad and it loses importance more and more.

Now is time to give TC an updated packer support. 7-zip is widely used and a common compressor today. So please add support.

Currently I use a 7zip multiarc addon. So I can work with these archives, but a native TC solution would make 7zip handling much better.
Egh

Post by *Egh »

Lefteous wrote:What exactly is the advantage? A plugin can be updated anytime and can have all the features that an integrated would have.
Elaborate on "any time" please and that's the point actually :) Current 7z plugin I use has couple of glitches and no one bovvers to update it :(

I would love same thing like other packers, i.e. TC to have native 7z.dll integration, no plugin required. Pretty much only thing left to a user is to enter 7z.dll location.

And I hope that The Developer may eventually get a permission from 7z developer to ship 7z.dll with total commander. This way we can achieve 7z-compatibility out of the box!
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Lefteous wrote:What exactly is the advantage? A plugin can be updated anytime and can have all the features that an integrated would have.
Theoretically. And some plugins work perfectly. Only in the past there have been some frictions in the development process of the 7Zip plugin which might promote the wish to have internal 7zip support in T.C.
Moreover, as has been stated more than once: 7zip has become more or less as popular as ZIP. So why not have internal support for it?

Karl
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

@Egh,
I believe it requires futzing with MultiArc plugin -- which to me is probably one of the worst TC plugins: it chokes on misplaced spaces, quotes or any number of other things. If it's not painstakingly configured exactly right and with file paths how it wants them to be then it just doesn't work at all OR fails with obscure error messages that have nothing whatsoever to do with the actual problem.

If yer lucky enough to finally get it configured it may or may not create the archive you are attempting to make, if it doesn't like the path of the source files or the path of the target.

I don't even bother with it any more, and have been quite happy with WinRAR from the contextMenu, or the rare instance I want to create an archive in the Target panel then I'll let TC handle it.
compie

Post by *compie »

I would also love to see 7zip support in Total Commander! Let's hope the author adds it in TC 8.0.