Sychronize directories

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jesco

Sychronize directories

Post by *Jesco »

Hello,

Using 'Synchronize directories' with 'Empty directories'-option enabled will also list empty directories that exist only on one side.

I am not sure whether this behaviour really constitute a bug, but it's at least inconsistent:

- Empty directories that exist only on the right side are shown aligned to the left. This is irritating, they should be aligned on the right.

- After pressing 'Synchronize' the dialog shows 'Left to right: Copy x files ...'
This should be changed to '... Copy x file(s)/folder(s) ...'
and for asymmetric comparison:
'Right: delete x file(s)' -> 'Right: delete x file(s)/folder(s)'

I just had the case that I synchronized (asymmetric) two large directory structures with an additional empty folder on the right. It took me a moment until I realized that the file to be deleted on the right side was actually a folder that was shown on the left.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is intentional, so empty directories can be synchronized between the two sides too!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Jesco

Post by *Jesco »

This is intentional, so empty directories can be synchronized between the two sides too!
Of course! I believe I understand the functionality and it DOES work as intended.

What I find inconsistent is simply:
a) That the dialogs only mention 'files' where the action is actually applied to 'files and/or folders'.
b) That empty directories on the right side are not displayed aligned with the other files on the right side.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

a) This is because directories are only synchronized when "empty directories" is checked
b) Very deep directory structures take far more space than file names, so I have to use the entire width of the dialog.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com