Directory Synchronization with ZIP archive

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vaclav.macha

Directory Synchronization with ZIP archive

Post by *vaclav.macha »

There is little bug, or better to say small suggestion for next release of TC.
When you will synchronize with ZIP archive using Directory Synchronization function and you'll mark some files for delete from archive and some for copy (nevermind the sides) synchronization process will fail...
Deletion task performs first, which results into change of the files/directory list of ZIP archive. Any following internal task of synchronization (copy form one side to another, etc) will fail with message "Invalid ZIP file".
I presume that this is because of previous change of archive content.
This is very tiny bug, because reloading, or splitting processes/tasks into parts is successful workarround.

Anyways, i hope this post will help you.

Regards

Vaclav
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed it's not possible to both add files to the zip AND to delete files from it. Reason: the deletion will change the offsets within the zip, so the files cannot be found afterwards.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Christian. Hi, Vaclav.

Let us assume that you display
+ the archive in the right panel and
+ the folder tree in the left panel and that
+ you activate the "asymmetric" synchronization mode

In this situation T.C. properly removes files from the archive first and next adds or updates files and folders as appropriate.

I am aware that this approach may not be as flexible as you, Vaclav, would like it to be. Yet, it might be a good approach.

It also illustrates - if you watch closely - that T.C. actually updates the archive in two passes:
+ delete operation in the first pass
+ update operation in the second pass

Kind regards,
Karl
zlatan24

Post by *zlatan24 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Indeed it's not possible to both add files to the zip AND to delete files from it. Reason: the deletion will change the offsets within the zip, so the files cannot be found afterwards.
I have many zip archives and once some of them were damaged, luckily I keep one's head and entered the Google and could find a one tool. It helped me for seconds and I hope it relieve you in this condition - repair zip file.