white
Power Member
Power Member

[Bug TC6.01] Associate window - focus bugs

Post by *white »

1)
a) View a txt-file with the internal lister
b) Switch back to the main window of TC
c) Open "Associate" dialog via menu "Files/Associate With.." or via "Configuration/Packer/Configure packer extensions WCXs"
d) The only way to switch to the Lister window is to click on the corresponding task in the taskbar (normally) located at the bottom of the screen. (Note that the Lister process is not in the list when you hit Alt+Tab. And clicking the Lister window won't help.) When the Lister window is active, it seems to be kinda locked. Several functions are not available. When you hit F7 (search) and close the search dialog again (Esc key), the Lister window is 'unlocked' and all function are available (the Lister process is also listed in the Alt+Tab list again).

2)
a) Open "Associate" dialog via "Configuration/Packer/Configure packer extensions WCXs"
b) switch to a different application
c) clicking on the main window of TC or clicking the "Associate" window will bring back the focus to the "Associate" window. However clicking somewhere on the "Configuration" window will focus nothing. I noticed other programs to have similar behaviours except for some Microsoft products I tested.
The same behaviour can be found with other dialogs of TC.

3)
c) Open "Configure Lister" dialog via "Configuration/'Edit/view'/Configure Internal viewer"
d) open the "Lister plugins" dialog via Configure packer extensions WCXs"
e) open the "Browse" dialog via the button "Add"
f) switch to the Lister window
g) close the Lister window with the Esc key does not work (stolen by Windows?)

(OS used: Windows 98 )
Clo

Re: [Bug TC6.01] Associate window - focus bugs

Post by *Clo »

white wrote:1)
c) Open "Associate" dialog via menu "Files/Associate With.." or via "Configuration/Packer/Configure packer extensions WCXs"
d) The only way to switch to the Lister window is to click on the corresponding task in the taskbar (normally) located at the bottom of the screen. (Note that the Lister process is not in the list when you hit Alt+Tab. And clicking the Lister window won't help.) When the Lister window is active, it seems to be kinda locked. Several functions are not available. When you hit F7 (search) and close the search dialog again (Esc key), the Lister window is 'unlocked' and all function are available (the Lister process is also listed in the Alt+Tab list again).

2)
a) Open "Associate" dialog via "Configuration/Packer/Configure packer extensions WCXs"
c) clicking on the main window of TC or clicking the "Associate" window will bring back the focus to the "Associate" window. However clicking somewhere on the "Configuration" window will focus nothing. I noticed other programs to have similar behaviours except for some Microsoft products I tested.

3)
c) Open "Configure Lister" dialog via "Configuration/'Edit/view'/Configure Internal viewer"
d) open the "Lister plugins" dialog via Configure packer extensions WCXs"
e) open the "Browse" dialog via the button "Add"
f) switch to the Lister window
g) close the Lister window with the Esc key does not work (stolen by Windows?)

(OS used: Windows 98 )

:D Hi!
¤ The three cases you explained are true. But it seems that belongs to the awful general Win restriction, following which you cannot have more than one active pointer in one window at the same time...
:?: Maybe Windows doesn't apply this to itself in some cases, however I never saw this... I saw rather the same problem in other softs, about "covered" windows which become unreachable as active at the same time than another of that soft...
* Windows is NOT a real multi-task OS!
¤ I hope that more competent users and / or Ch. Ghisler himself will bring more details...
:) Friendly,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

>>>white

I can confirm all of what you wrote (also under Win98SE)

I think that #1 is a serious problem, #2 is what I would expect and #3 can be annoying if you are used to use Escape for closing down Lister.

I suspect #1 to be caused by TC, whereas I suspect #3 to be a Windows problem.

:D Happy New Year
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

white wrote:2)
petermad wrote:#2 is what I would expect..
Why? It looks more like a bug to me. I find it strange that the taskbar at the bottom of the screen still shows the previous program to have focus while the title bar of that program says otherwise. When you press ALT+tab once the previous program becomes focussed again. Which suggests TC was focussed. Or when you interrupt with CTRL+ALT+DEL and continue again by pressing ESC, TC is focussed!
I do not know if windows is causing these problems or TC, but if other programs can handle these clicks without problems why not TC?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

white wrote:Why? It looks more like a bug to me. I find it strange that the taskbar at the bottom of the screen still shows the previous program to have focus while the title bar of that program says otherwise. When you press ALT+tab once the previous program becomes focussed again. Which suggests TC was focussed. Or when you interrupt with CTRL+ALT+DEL and continue again by pressing ESC, TC is focussed!
I do not know if windows is causing these problems or TC, but if other programs can handle these clicks without problems why not TC?
You are right - I didn't notice that the "other program" lost focus when clicking on the Configuration window. And the CTRL+ALT+DEL stunt is odd too.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar