Total commander for Mac os X

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dominique.trine@free.fr

Total commander for Mac os X

Post by *dominique.trine@free.fr »

HI,
is there a chance to have TC for Mac os X ?
There is a TC like software named Disk order but is is not as rich as TC.
Would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards.

Dominique[/quote]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately the chances are very low. Although I'm porting TC from Delphi to Lazarus now, it uses so many Windows-specific functions that a port is very improbable.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
klausj

Post by *klausj »

I would highly appreciate a Version of Total Commander for the Mac as well. And I am willing to pay for an additional licence for such a version. :wink:

Klaus
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Supposedly it's working thru Wine, I couldn't get it running myself as it requires one of the SDK's (or DevKits) from the MacOSX install disk and the laptop's DVD-RW is toast.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Dominus

Post by *Dominus »

if you don't compile Wine yourself, you can easily use it on OS X without installing an SDK. A good source of a precompiled Wine for OS X is http://mike.kronenberg.org/
You might need X11/Xquartz, but you can download that as well.

TC in Wine works but not as nicely as I wished, especially the right click menu is not working correctly at all in Wine :(
klausj

that may only be a workaround for the meantime

Post by *klausj »

I am using Parallels on the Mac. So it is not a problem to have a TC on the Mac.
But it's not integrated in OS X. It's sitting somehow on top of it.
If possible, I would like to avoid running an emulation.
egnm1969

Post by *egnm1969 »

I have to agree with Dominique, having been a very long time user of TC since the early days (and yes I did buy a license from you way way back...) and now in the last 2 years having converted over to a Mac, I do wish you'd contemplate creating a Mac version, as I've tried all the various Mac clones of your file manager & unfortunately the only semi good one is Disk Order, but like Dominique says, it's nowhere near as good as TC.
Also I know a lot of Mac users who when I showed them TC & how easy & powerful it is to use, wished you'd make a version...
I have to admit if you did create a Mac version, I'd be more than happy to pay for a new license, as I've always felt that TC was invaluable !!

Go on Christian... make our day ;-)
totcom

... Total Commander for Mac - that would be great!

Post by *totcom »

Using Total Commander (formerly Windows Commander :wink:) since version 1.x.
Since I couldn't find a real Total Commander alternative for Mac, I'm using TC in VMware, but would also clearly prefer to have it native on the Mac.

@Christian, we would love to buy new licences for a Mac version of your great software!
Hoping, that you're thinking again about to go cross-platfrom. BTW, UltraEdit (great text editor on Windows) currently develops a Mac version, and they will be successful with it. :)
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Re: ... Total Commander for Mac - that would be great!

Post by *Sob »

totcom wrote:BTW, UltraEdit (great text editor on Windows) currently develops a Mac version, and they will be successful with it. :)
But check the long version of their About Us page. It's no longer one man show for quite some time. It's not that hard to go cross-platform when you have several developers. AFAIK it's not the case with TC. I myself wished few times for Linux TC, but...
Currently it takes about two years to get new TC version with bigger changes (X.00 or X.50). It's not exactly very fast. And it's for only one platform (although almost all versions of Windows ever released can be considered a little more than "just one platform" :). Now add Mac and Linux to it, something completely different. I would be a little affraid of that. Even in case I'm an optimist and assume that Mr. Ghisler would not do the same as with Windows version. Meaning supporting every version, e.g. in Linux case even Slackware 1.0 or so. ;)
Auguste

Post by *Auguste »

I'd love to see an OS X port. Even if features have to be cut, it wouldn't take much to get far ahead of the existing Commanders on the Mac. I've just been trying a few of them and they just aren't the same. Total Commander is irreplaceable.
Manfredo52

Post by *Manfredo52 »

It does work with wine and I also have the Kronenberg compiled version installed. Out of couriosity I copied the ttlcmnd folder to my mac folders and started the exe. It asks whether I want to start the program directly in wine, I answered yes, and here we go.

regards Manfred
Juglator

Post by *Juglator »

I can recommend ForkLift 2 for the Mac users.

It preserves many "traditional" keyboard shortcus as well as the dual pane view we're all used to. It also does file synchronization (also with remote files), multi-rename, split & combine, file archive browsing, FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, S3, and so on. It also allows you to jump into a Terminal window on OS X much like TC.
HeRo

Post by *HeRo »

Juglator wrote:I can recommend ForkLift 2 for the Mac users.

It preserves many "traditional" keyboard shortcus as well as the dual pane view we're all used to.
I have seen several people recommend Forklift, but I just tried it, and it lacks some fundamental things. For instance there is no 'up-dir' item at the top of folder content lists. :(
kwanbis

Post by *kwanbis »

DoubleCommander is porting also to Mac.
RandomMarius

Post by *RandomMarius »

HeRo wrote:
Juglator wrote:I can recommend ForkLift 2 for the Mac users.

It preserves many "traditional" keyboard shortcus as well as the dual pane view we're all used to.
I have seen several people recommend Forklift, but I just tried it, and it lacks some fundamental things. For instance there is no 'up-dir' item at the top of folder content lists. :(
I found this also. However I've been a Total Commander user for ages (15 years?), and have been using Macs now primarily for the past 8 years, and although I would gladly pay again for a Mac version I have all but given up and am willing to give Forklift a try and learn "a new way".

Also the muscle-memory key mappings will take a long time to unlearn... specifically though for which are fundamentally different between how the two programs work.

But yes, I cannot believe there is no "..".

there is also mucommander, but then you will also lack things like queued copies etc... can't win.