Access Windows 7 PC from a mobile over LAN

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

macrae_dj

Post by *macrae_dj »

Hi, Does anyone have a step-by-step guide for using Total Commander running on a Windows Mobile smart phone to view the contents of a folder on a Windows 7 PC please?
I found this in the help. But I need something more extensive ...
http://www.ghisler.com/cecmd.htm#plugin_lan

Here are my attempts so far:
In windows 7, file explorer > right clicked on folder > Properties > Sharing > advanced sharing > tick 'share this folder', give it a share name and set the permissions to 'read'.
Temporarily switched off ZoneAlarm to simplify things.
On the mobile > launch Total Commander > Plugins > LAN > new Server.
What should I put in as the server name? Do I need to specify the folder name or something?
My mobile and PC can both access the Internet over a broadband router so they shold be able to speak to each other through this router.
Thanks.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You need to give the computer name. That's the one shown when you open the Windows 7 start menu, right click on "Computer", and choose "Properties".

Btw, how is the Windows Mobile device connected to your PC? This will work only in case of a real network conenction, e.g. via LAN or WLAN. It will not work when the device is connected via USB.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
macrae_dj

Post by *macrae_dj »

Hi, my computer has a name - I just dont know what to do with it. In Total commander do I just type this in as the name of the server - I tried this but it didnt work.
I previously had this working with Windows XP, and Total Commander has an entry: //PC-name
I cant remember if I did something else to get things going. So I'm not sure if its this or if Windows 7 networking works differently.
My mobile and PC are part of a LAN.
Thanks
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It should ve \\PC-name, not //PC-name.

Are you able to access this Windows 7 machine from other PCs on the network?
macrae_dj

Post by *macrae_dj »

I dont have another PC so I dont know - I'll see about getting another PC to rty it out on.
However I dont know what I'm doing with Total Commander. I type in \\pc-name for the server. Then I click on the icon it creates and it asks me for a username, password and domain (sometimes). I leave them all blank and then I just get a blank screen. I have tried experimenting with various values, but it if I knew what the various boxes meant and what to expect it would help greatly with debugging the problem and speeding things up as I wouldnt have to experiment so much.
Thanks.
macrae_dj

Post by *macrae_dj »

I dug out an old win2000 laptop. I am able to view Windows7 PC shared folders on the win2000 laptop and vice versa. I can see the win2000 laptop from total commnder on the mobile. So the only thing I cant do is view windows7 shared folders on the mobile with TC.
I noticed that when I try to connect to the windows7 pc from the mobile, it doesnt pop up the username/password/domain window. Maybe I've got incorrect values stored for the username/password/domain. How can I reset this information so that this pop-up window appears? I've tried deleting the entries under LAN, re-booting and re-installing TC, but none of these works. Is there some settings that TC stores on the mobile that dont get erased on an unistall?
Thanks.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you try whether it works from Windows Mobile Explorer to Windows 7?
macrae_dj

Post by *macrae_dj »

I have never managed to get this to work with Windows Mobile Explorer. Windows Mobile Explorer tries to connect with GPRS when you type the path into 'Open path'.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That doesn't sound good. Does FTP work over this connection? You can try ftp://ghisler.ch (user: anonymous password: a@b) for testing.
dwellman

Post by *dwellman »

In many ways, issues connecting to Windows 7 shares from Windows Mobile devices are similar to connecting to SMB/CIFS shares on BSD or Linux.

In any case, the stickiest wicket is NTLM authentication. I think, by default, Windows 7 only allows NTLMv2 128 bit encrypted authentication.

Try this first:

On your Windows Phone set the LMCompatabilityLevelClient to 2

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\SecurityProviders\NTLM\LmCompatibilityLevelClient)

If that doesn't work, set it to 1 and on your Windows 7 box, do the following:
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy. Choose Local Policies then Security Options.

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level Send LM & NTLM responses

Try again.

If it still doesn't work, try:

Disable Require 128-bit encryption for Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
TyBontage

Post by *TyBontage »

What you are doing with your PC is exactly what I AM doing with the NSLU2 from my PC ie. mapping a drive for my music share on the device. Al it is, is a file server for all the PCs on my network. I just want my iPaq to be just another PC on the network.

Although, there are obviously some restrictions, like what USER am I on the iPaq this is important for other computer access and how can I get the Workgroup set? I put it in the domain but isnt that usually 255.255.255.0?
GPEX

Re: Access Windows 7 PC from a mobile over LAN

Post by *GPEX »

TyBontage wrote:What you are doing with your PC is exactly what I AM doing with the NSLU2 from my PC ie. mapping a drive for my music share on the device. Al it is, is a file server for all the PCs on my network. I just want my iPaq to be just another PC on the network.

Although, there are obviously some restrictions, like what USER am I on the iPaq this is important for other computer access and how can I get the Workgroup set? I put it in the domain but isnt that usually 255.255.255.0?
255.255.255.0 is your network mask, it might be different, depends of network settings