Console2 and Cygwin

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sessizlik

Console2 and Cygwin

Post by *Sessizlik »

After a lot tries, I wanted ask someone else for his or her helps.

Ok, as a developer I have to use frequently cygwin and console2 program together.

Console is a Windows console window enhancement. Console features include: multiple tabs, text editor-like text selection, different background types, alpha and color-key transparency, configurable font, different window styles

Ok my question is how I should configure TotalCommander to use cygwin and console2 together. I want to open current dir in a new tab in console2 with Cygwin.

Thanks
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Console2 and Cygwin

Post by *nsp »

Sessizlik wrote:After a lot tries, I wanted ask someone else for his or her helps.

Ok, as a developer I have to use frequently cygwin and console2 program together.

Console is a Windows console window enhancement. Console features include: multiple tabs, text editor-like text selection, different background types, alpha and color-key transparency, configurable font, different window styles

Ok my question is how I should configure TotalCommander to use cygwin and console2 together. I want to open current dir in a new tab in console2 with Cygwin.

Thanks
Let assume that your cygwin tabname in cosole is "Cygwin"

Did you try to make a button or a user command ?

Code: Select all

Command: <path to>\console.exe
Parameter: -t "Cygwin" -d "%P"
If you launch cygwin using a bat instead of launching directly bash or sh or tcsh with all the setting in etc/profile and your rc file, you could have some trouble to be in good starting folder.

Some shell like powershell does not works correctly and are not fully supported by console2...
Sessizlik

Post by *Sessizlik »

thank you for your answer,

I have tried with cygwin.bat which has this simple bash script

@echo off

D:
chdir D:\ProgramFiles\Cygwin\bin

bash --login -i
I changed this script to change directory. But I could not pass parameters.

And also I tried your example but It could not work too.

My another try was using directly bash.exe with parameter -c . You can pass custom commands to bash to initially run them.

I think that it can solve my problem but while I was writing I had a lof of problems about back slashes and quotes...

Thanks

nsp wrote:
Sessizlik wrote:After a lot tries, I wanted ask someone else for his or her helps.

Thanks
Let assume that your cygwin tabname in cosole is "Cygwin"

Did you try to make a button or a user command ?

Command: <path to>\console.exe
Parameter: -t "Cygwin" -d "%P"
If you launch cygwin using a bat instead of launching directly bash or sh or tcsh with all the setting in etc/profile and your rc file, you could have some trouble to be in good starting folder.

Some shell like powershell does not works correctly and are not fully supported by console2...
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Sessizlik wrote:thank you for your answer,

I have tried with cygwin.bat which has this simple bash script

@echo off

D:
chdir D:\ProgramFiles\Cygwin\bin

bash --login -i
I changed this script to change directory. But I could not pass parameters.

And also I tried your example but It could not work too.
In my previous mail i was pointing out the cygwin bat, if you want to avoid it :
Some hints to follow :
- Add D:\ProgramFiles\Cygwin\bin to your system path.
- in your etc/profile file, remove the command cd "$HOME" (near the end generally)
- in console 2 define Cygwin like :bash --login -i

Try the command from previous post. (It works for me with msys !)
kerem

Post by *kerem »

This is what I use to open "Mintty" in the currently open folder

"C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/xhere /bin/bash.exe "%L""

Just add it as a button
frenky

Post by *frenky »

Hi *,
my 2 cents on this topic.

I found it more convenient to use Putty with Cygwin extensions: http://code.google.com/p/puttycyg/

I've also removed the "cd $HOME" part as well so it starts in current directory.

Command: <path to>\puttycyg-20101029\putty.exe
Parameter: -cygterm -
Start path: <leave empty for path of currently selected panel>

Edit:
Triggered by this post, just tried Console2 after long, long time. I must say it is very nice, one more program I'll use. Thx :)
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
dy/dx

Post by *dy/dx »

Hi,

I just changed from Console2 to mintty (it is faster, looks more stable and is part of cygwin now).

Just a hint for kerem's comment: xhere etc is not necessary for me. mintty seems to take the working directory which is passed automatically by Total Commander.

Regards,
Niki